RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My domestic model #rm3962 does not get cold. it stays about…

Customer Question
My domestic model #rm3962...

My domestic model #rm3962 does not get cold. it stays about 50 deg, the freezer stays frozen.

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

About 2weeks ,start-up after storage.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends on how complicated,i'm disabled and I probably don't have the tools

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I replaced the thermostat tube inside the unit a couple years back.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: RV
5/30/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Have you tried running it on BOTH AC power and LP (propane? If so did you get the same results.

Robert

OK

Please give me several mins to type a response....

Robert

SO I am going to give you a service manual which will allow you to go at your own pace and will explain things in full details click HERE and see page 4 insufficient cooling on all modes.

Normally when you get poor cooling it can be an issue with the thermistor, door seals, cooling unit or the fans are not coming on. In the manual it will show you how to ohm out the thermistor with a volt meter. For the door seals get a dollar bill and shut it between the seals, it should not fall in any areas, if so that is just a spot where warm air can get inside and prevent the box from cooling.

Make sure the fridge is level as well, if it is not level re-level the RV or fridge and let sit for a few hours and try again. A cooling unit can rupture or become blocked. For a rupture you might smell ammonia, see a yellowish powder on the back of the fridge. For a blockage you would have NO symptoms at all but no/poor cooling on BOTH LP and AC power. IF you feel the cooling unit is blocked you ca try tapping the absorber coils on the back of the fridge, they zig zag back and forth. SOMETIMES that gets things going but there is NO guaranty in that.

Look the manual over it should help you out some, if you have any questions during that process please let me know, I an around daily and respond when I can....

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating at the TOP of the page.... Thanks. Robert

domestic service suggests to check the door seals first

YES I mentioned that as well. When you troubleshoot this it is a process of elimination.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating at the top of the page..

Thanks. ROBERT

HI.... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

ROBERT