RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

How do I keep batteries charged. No just two bars on panel.

Customer Question
How do I keep...

How do I keep batteries charged

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

No just two bars on panel

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2015 thor siesta

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just tried generator and running vehicle

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/29/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

The batteries should be charging. What I would do is get a volt meter and go right to the battery and take a reading, when you are plugged into power or the generator is running you should have over 13 volts. IF that is not the case then you may have a problem or the batteries possibly can be bad. Most auto parts stores can load test the batteries for you to see if they are good or not, you would have to remove the batteries and bring them in.

IF the batteries are in good condition then you may have an issue with the power converter, it takes the incoming AC voltage and makes the DC voltage and charges the batteries. That would apply if the generator is running or plugged into shore-power. When the vehicle engine is running it gets a charge through a battery isolator or solenoid and sometimes the starting battery voltage demand needs to be met in order for the solenoid to open up and charge the house battery.

Sometimes the display panel can read off and it is always good to take a reading right at the battery.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page.

ROBERT

HI.... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

ROBERT