RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Air conditioner fail. 1999 newmar dutch star. I have run the…

Customer Question
Air conditioner fail Mechanic's...

Air conditioner fail

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the Freon level?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

1999 newmar dutch star

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have run the setup docu

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have 2 new Penguin II

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: RV
5/29/2018
RV Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 23 days ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today. In some cases, I may need more info to assist better. I apologize for any delay.
I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Do either of the Penguins turn on?

Are they centrally controlled with a control/thermostat assembly?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Neither AC turns on.
ACs are centrally controlled.

Did this happen as soon as you installed the Penguin units or did they both work and then stopped working at the same time?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
They worked at one time.They both failed at the same time

Unfortunately, I cannot place a call on this myself here. Others here will see you requested a call and may still call on this. I can, however, continue here.

First, make sure no breakers had tripped and caused this issue here. If these are all o.k. and they both quit at the same time I suspect the central control has failed. This is the control assembly that turns them on and off. It will fail internally electronically causing this issue here with it needing to be replaced.

The only way to really be sure that this is the cause and to make sure you have no wiring issues is to have the control assembly tested as well as wiring checked leading to it for any issues. But I do suspect it needs to be replaced and is not switching on the ac units.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above). You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question. I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
They both worked until yesterday

The control assembly can fail suddenly internally to where it will not turn either on when it develops an internal fault. This will occur suddenly where one day they may work and the next they will not work. In some cases tapping on the control will allow them to work temporarily but in other cases, this tap test will not work to get them working again. You have to have the wiring checked leading to the ac control assembly to see if any wiring issues are found. Make sure all breakers are o.k.If this is all o.k. then I suspect the control assembly is at fault needing to be replaced.

Thanks, Pete

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I am not happy with your answer. Is there a phone number for Dometic service?

In the link below is Dometic customer service. You can contact them on this if you like. I wish I had better news and info on this for you. If there is anything else I can help with let me know as I strive to make sure you are satisfied and to achieve a 5-star rating.

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/contact-us

Thanks Pete