RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I am having problems with power. When generator is running…

Customer Question
I am having problems...

I am having problems with power. When generator is running have full power but generator is not charging. When generator is off I have no power. If I trip the batter disconnect switch while generator is running batteries voltage jumps but only for 3 seconds at a time. My camper is a 2014 Fuzion 390 with built in Oman 5500

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistant

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2014 Fuzion Fz390

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am planning on fixing it my self.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I was thinking either the converter or transfer swith

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: RV
5/29/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

The generator only provides AC power to the inverter/charger or the converter to charge the battery. What is the make and model of your load center and which do you have?

I have to take a short break to run an errand for my shop. Be back in about 20 minutes.

So what do you have here?

Not sure the converter model
Im not sure the converter model

Are you there where you c

can open up the door and see?

No I’m at work

Do you have or can you come up with a small digital multimeter for some testing? That would be the quickest way to track down the problem. Maybe get back to me later with that and we can sort this out. I have an RV repair shop and work on these all the time. No time limits here for any follow ups.

I put a multimeter on it if I trip the batter shut off it charges batteries for short 3 seconds and then trips I can press witch multiple times but always kicks after a few sec

I need to know the make and model of the charging unit to be able to tell you what to check.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to get the make and model of your charging unit for me?