RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2003 Fleetwood Prowler 5TH wheel 38ft. In good

Customer Question
condition. The sliders above the...
I have a 2003 Fleetwood Prowler 5TH wheel 38ft. In good condition. The sliders above the 5TH wheel will not open. Can not find the motor. Can you help? If its under floor how do I get to it without ripping the floor out?
Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: RV
5/29/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 21 days ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Is this a bedroom slide? If so, it is under the bed platform. There should be a panel in there that you remove to get to that. I would be sure that this isn't a bad switch or other problem before taking the motor out. It can be checked with a small digital multimeter. About $20 or so and easy to use. Let me know if you need more later as all follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
No, its the two siders on both sides in the livingroom above the storage unit where the 5th wheel is
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I have no phone service where my rv is located

All those motors are usually accessed from below. And doubtful it is the motors. More likely low voltage has tripped out some shortstop breakers or a fuse on the control board (I you have one) is the problem. See the attached link for what those look like. Small black button on the copper post end that has to be pushed in to reset this. https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=BqT81%2fi2&id=8D4939A7F0965679E3E29C89B963B0D9C24CDC15&thid=OIP.BqT81_i2snOEu0WIlAltMAHaG6&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fwww.waytekwire.com%2fimages%2fitems%2f46375BFL.gif&exph=560&expw=600&q=shortstop+breaker+photo&simid=608020011086186762&selectedIndex=0

Add a photo of the rails and I can get you a Service Manual for these. I just need to see whose system you have. Probably Lippert or Power Gear. Are these all electric or hydraulic operated?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Lippert electric

Take a look at this manual and see if this is your system. The shortstop breakers are up by the batteries. By code, these have to be within 18" of the batteries. If you only have one battery you need to add another or this will happen again. And try to be plugged into shore power when using the slides. They take a lot of power. http://www.primetimerv.com/download/ComponentManuals/SlideOut-ThruChassisElectricbyLippert-OperationManual.pdf

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Cant I just override by cranking, until I get somebody here to check it. I'll see if I can find the shortstop breaker. What I shore power?

You can, but that is a lot of work. The shore cord is the power cord.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I am connected to shore power. still looking for shortstop breaker

Follow the battery positive lead right to them.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
OK I found the shortstop breaker, but there is no black button to push

Some don't. Only one?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
There are 3. I checked all 3
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Is there anything else I can try?

Did you check them with a meter or test light? If not, you can move the lead off the silver post to the copper post side for a test to see if they are bad. If the slides work then you know what the issue is.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I'm a little scared to do that. Will that cause any additional problems?

Not just for testing purposes. If that solves the problem the take the bad shortstop breaker off and go down and get a new one of the same amperage and install it.

RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 19 days ago

Just checking back in to see how this turned out and if that information was helpful?