RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My heater was on with no water.I was wondering why my

Customer Question
My heater was on...

My heater was on with no water.I was wondering why my breaker kept tripping and now my lights are dim and air conditioner does not turn on.what can I look for?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

All my inside lights.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

It's a 2004 prowler.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Prowler yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tried charging up the battery, checked the fuses

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

What happened, everything was working, now nothing works right?

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: RV
5/28/2018
RV Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 24 days ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Is the battery taking a charge ?

so all fuses are checked and good ?

do you have a voltmeter ,what is battery level ?

if you unplug water heater plug and trip breaker again and try ,will it stil trip it , is the water heater shorted out ?

Are you looking for the most possible causes or you are repairing it yourself .

Please Let Me Know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
When I first ran cord from my house to trailer everything was working fine, lights were bright, ac would kick in but the breaker would trip at times and I would reset it. I turned ac off for the night and left radio on.The next day lights stayed dim and ac would not turn on and I noticed water heater switch was on.

WE EITHER HAVE A WEAK BATTERY OR SOMETHING IS STAYING ON THAT IS DRAINING BATTERY

DO WE KNOW IF BATTERY HAS 12 VOLTS

THE SYSTEM WILL SHUT DOWN UNNECESSARY SYSTEMS WHEN BATTERY START TO FAIL

hooking up to house and staying on is good but tripping every once a while , circuit is being overloaded or the trip breaker to small for that outlet '

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
There is an outlet on the side of the trailer for fridge and is not plugged in, Do I plug it in? I just bought this rv. He gave me another small fridge for use but I don't know if he ever connected plug on the outside wall?

you plug in power from outside source ,if that is what it is for then yes and see if make a difference

but why he gave another fridge ,is the one in it not working , turn breaker off on inside fuse pane for original fridge off

Just to be sure the plug in behind the cover from outside needs to be plugged in for fridge to work, not to have outside source plug it in to it, so if fridge inside do not work then plug in one he gave u , but there should power on that plug from main camper fuse box
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I have thick extension cord running from house to trailer but ac turns on and if I turn it off and then try to turn it back on, it won't turn on?
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
ac doesn't cool as much?
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Do I need to run cord directly to breaker box with separate breaker by itself?

i think it look you need breaker by itself , sound like breaker from house is not enough to run all including ac, to get best performance and get seperate box and higher amperage breaker specifically for camper ,add how many amps ac, fridge , ect and get a breaker that will handle it

the ac is not cooling cause a low amperage , do not run it until u get that fix ,it will burn up compressor

RV Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 22 days ago

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You?Chad Farhat?ASE Certified Technician

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Now all my lights are dim and air conditioner does not turn on?

that is all i know, let opt out of the question and open for other expert to assist further on it

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Ok
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
My lights are dim and air conditioner does not turn. I'm running cord to my receptical inside my house. Before lights were bright and air conditioner would turn on. What can I check?
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 22 days ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

You can't run an Air Conditioner on a household cord. Too many amps required. You can burn up the A/C that way! And we need to check the charging circuit and see if the batteries are being charged adequately. If they are over 3 years old they should be load tested to be sure they are viable. If you ran the water heater without any water on AC mode you shorted out the heating element and that will trip the breaker. So you have a few things you need to check here. If you have or can get a small digital multimeter we can check the charging and voltage. About $20 or so and easy to use. I can direct you in some testing. I am going to take my wife to dinner and so I will be away for about 90 minutes. I do have an RV repair shop and work on these all the time.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
How much do you charge?

For this question? Or at my shop?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
At my place.

My shop is in Northern California near the Oregon border.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
That doesn't help me? I live in Victoria Texas....