RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I just bought a Winnebago chieftain that has water damage…

I just bought a...

I just bought a Winnebago chieftain that has water damage and was planning on reframing etc to fix the walls. THEN I saw that this cannot be fixed as Winnebago does not have a frame. Is this true?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

1989 Winnebago chieftain

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '89 RV?

1989 Winnebago chieftain

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing, fixed the roof leak and was ready for the walls but when I read a forum saying delamination of the walls is cause to junk it

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?

IDK...It runs and I was just going to live in it...not drive it. I have been homeless for 5 years so something better than nothing

Answered in 1 minute by:
5/27/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 4 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Not really. Can you attach some photos of the damaged area to your post? Or we can do a $9 phone chat and you can text them to me and we can discuss this. I have an RV repair shop and do these kinds of repairs all the time.

okI cant yet. The RV is parked over an hour away. I was just concerned after reading that once the delamination starts it will fall apart and cannot be "framed" like I had plannedhow can I get back with you for a phone chat when I get back to the RV?

If you want the phone chat hit that tab and we can do the chat(s) any time. And yes, this has a frame and can be repaired. Not easy, but it can be fixed.

I will get back with you Tuesday when I get back to the RV then. Thank you.

That works. Just respond back here again. I am here every day. And you are most welcome!

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification