RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Have drained the oil out and changed filters. However,

Customer Question
Have drained the oil...

Have drained the oil out and changed filters. However, cannot unscrew the oil fill cap to replace with new oil.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

6 months ago

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

Thor Windsport 2014

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have tried squeezing the oil cap, pressing the oil cap and return. Cannot get the cap to release.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: RV
5/26/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Normally most all engine all caps are screwed on, if it has a lip on it where you put your fingers to unscrew it you might want to put a rag over that and use a pair of channel locks to see if it will move. IF you want to send a photo of the cap it may also help, if it screws on then you are going to have to use some leverage to get it off. I have seen some stuck on pretty good over the years.

Let me know if you need more help..... Robert

The cap clicks but will not unscrew.

OK

Try pressing really hard when turning, try both ways and see if it will release. Only other thing I can think of is to maybe try and pry between the cap and then unscrew to see if it will go for you.

Not budging.

Not sure, I am going to step out of the question. Maybe another expert will have some ideas for you. I do not know when another expert will respond, they come and go daily....

Thanks.... Robert

It’s broken but it’s off.
By the way we were charged $32 in addition to the $5 charge.

Thanks for the update that will need to be replaced.

The 5 dollars is to get to talk to a RV expert and then you have the 32 dollar fee. I do not set the prices or have anything to do with the billing. You only select a rating when you are satisfied. I have been a RV tech for over 20 years and would not be working on this site for 5 dollars a question. IF you are not satisfied let me know and I can direct you to customer service. Robert