RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2003 seabreeze the hot water stopped working on…

Customer Question
I have a 2003...

I have a 2003 seabreeze the hot water stopped working on eletrrical then about 2 years later it stopped working. when you turn it on you get ignition but the water is not hot.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

No problem with engine ignition, i was referring to water heater igniting

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '03 RV?

Seabreeze lx

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your LX yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have not done anything yet, wondering where to start

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just some things i can check

Submitted: 30 days ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/26/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 30 days ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

DO you have the make and model of the water heater?

Have you tried pulling up on the pressure relief valve to see if the water is hot in the tank. It is possible to have hot water in the tank but not out to the rest of the system.

Thanks, Robert

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
no i have'nt tried that,
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
not at this point just wanted some ideas on what to check and where to get started

So if the flame is coming check to see if the water is hot in the tank. Then let me know, I think I know the problem if the water in the tank is hot....

The pressure relief will be outside under the access panel brass valve with a lever, be-careful when you open the lever.

IF you are not at the RV I will respond back shortly and tell you what to look for.

Robert

SO if the water is HOT in the tank and you are not getting the hot water out to the system then you may have a failed check valve on the back side of the tank. Below is a picture of the check valve. When the disc falls out it can block the flow of hot water. You would have to go inside the RV and pull a false panel or some drawers to get at the back side of the water heater, the check valve screws into the tank where the hot and cold lines are located. The check valve can be plastic or brass as well, it will have tiny arrows on it for direction of flow.

IF it has been sometime since the water heater has been drained I would drain it out to make sure it is clean, it will have a plastic or brass plug at the bottom of the water heater you can remove, make sure you pull up on the pressure relief before pulling the plug or you can get a shower. When you put the plug back in use teflon tape on it. You might also have an anode rod instead of the plug. I might replace that as well, most RV stores carry them.

My feelings are if the flame is actually going and you have no hot water that check valve failed.

For the electric side it could be a bad AC heating element but I would need to know the make and model of the water heater.

Let me know if you need more help on this, I am around daily and respond WHEN I can.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page, you can still follow up as needed.... Robert

Check Valve can be plastic or brass.

RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 27 days ago

Hi. Was just checking in to see if my answer helped? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert