RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Do they make a retro fit adapter to make my RV air

Customer Question
Do they make a...

Do they make a retro fit adapter to make my RV air conditioner more level

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the Freon level?

This is my fourth air condition unit put into my Salem park model and they’re telling me that the air conditioner is on too much of an angle

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Fit?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fit yourself? What have you tried so far?

No it’s under warranty so they keep replacing the air condition and now they’re telling me it’s on too much of an angle

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Did they must make some type of adapter to help level it off so it’s not on so much of an angle do they carry something like that

Submitted: 30 days ago.Category: RV
5/25/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 30 days ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
2014

So not aware of any kit for this but you should be able to shim it up in the area needed using some plywood and sealant. So the roof AC sits on a rubber gasket you would want to shim under the gasket about 1" beyond the gasket and then I would seal the shim to the gasket, normally without the shim it is really not recommend to seal the gasket to the roof but since a shim is going to be involved then I would seal it to prevent any leakage and to protect the wood, so cover the wood as well with the sealant, I would use Dicor sealant for that, the shim would have to be tapered and you would have to do some dry runs with a level to get it in the right the spot needed.

Hope this helps some, If you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page...

ROBERT

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
What about doubling up a gasket in the front

Possibly that would work but if you do that I would use sealant between the gaskets, the mounting bolts only get torqued down to about 13-14" lbs NOT ft lbs if you over-tighten the mounting bolts what can happen is you can put the compressor in a bind so as long as you can put the proper trorque on the mounting bolts and have it level that should work but I would seal the gaskets together to prevent any leakage, would be worth a shot....

Let me know if you need more help on this.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page..

Have a great Holiday weekend.... Robert

Also my partner pointed out that these units should run off level but maybe they are over-tightening the unit down or it is causing leakage being off level, not sure of the exact issue with the failures.

Let me know if you need more help on this, I am around daily and respond when I can......

ROBERT

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
That’s whatIt seems like now that it’s in a bind and after running the compressor just doesn’t produce cold air

Yeah I can almost bet they are over-tightening the mounting bolts, the gasket between the roof AC unit and roof should not be flat, you should see a 1" of gasket at least as it only gets compressed about 1/2 way... Need to follow that torque spec. or you can have issues.

Hopefully it is something that simple never know. Ideally this units can work pretty far off level but if it is not installed correctly the compressor can get in a bind and fail.

I hope this has been helpful, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page....

ROBERT

RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 27 days ago

Hi. Was just checking in to see if my answer helped? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert