RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a jsyvo jay flight 31 bh travel trailer that has a…

Customer Question
I have a jsyvo...

I have a jsyvo jay flight 31 bh travel trailer that has a leak in fron bedroom light fictive

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The bedroom interior

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

Over the bef This has been an issue for this year

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your RV?

Bed

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes had 2 companies out can’t find the leak

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The leak looks like it is coming from the right side

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: RV
5/25/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 24 days ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

So I assume this only leaks when it is raining? Not when the AC unit is going etc?

Robert

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Dripping slow leakin inerior bed light overhead in 2008 .... yes when raining or covered Can’t find the leak Is it on the roof or side Interior ceiling where light fixture is filled with water
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Not when ac is running

OK

Got it.... I will try and give you some pointers, please give me a few mins to type a response.

Robert

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Can’t sleep there and when press on light fixture water comes dripping out
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Hello

SO Water leaks can be difficult to pin down and a shop would have to put in the time and effort to find the leak. Water can get in wherever there is a void, or something is not sealed and can travel pretty far and leak out where they want. The procedure I would do is do a full roof inspect looking at any molding that is not sealed, sky lights, vents etc. There should be no cracks or voids in any of the sealant or that is just an area water can get in. I might also pull a few screws on various vents, trim molding etc and look for signs of rust, that would be a big red flag, sometimes screw holes do not get silicone put into them when they are secured and they can leak, if they have been leaking you would see rusty screws.

In the shops I have been at what we would do is dry the area really good and simulate a rain event with a sprayer small areas at a time. Normally doing that the leak will show....

YES I AM HERE TYPING AS FAST AS I CAN.

Many times doing a simulation of a rain event will turn up the leak but you have to start away from the area that is leaking and do small areas at a time. It would be impossible for me to say where the water is coming in at but hopefully these tips help you narrow the area down some....

ROBERT

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Real world not simulation.. should I take the fictive down an loom from there?
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Not worth it

It would not hurt to pull the fixture down to see if you can see any daylight, of course during the day.

I am trying to be helpful and give you some pointers, I understand you are frustrated and I would be as well if you had 2 shops look at this.

IF you are not satisfied please let me know I can direct you to customer service. Robert

Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic