RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My main appliances won’t turn on but the outlets are

Customer Question
My main appliances won’t...

My main appliances won’t turn on but the outlets are working. The camper is plugged in at my house where it has always worked

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Do you know what they look like?

We can only find the one panel that is under the fridge

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

I’m looking now

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your RV?

2007

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

M29RLS

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Are there any fees?

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/11/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 4 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

What appliances are not working? Some of your appliances require AC and DC power to work.

Are all your lights working in the RV?

Robert

No lights, only the outletsAny ideas

So you are saying the outlets are working but not the lights?

Robert

Correct

IF that is the case then most likely you have a problem with the power converter. It takes the incoming AC voltage and makes the DC voltage and charges the battery.

Let me respond back with more info on that, it takes some time to type a response.

Robert

Ok, that’s what I was thinking too

SO the power converter will take the incoming AC voltage and make the DC voltage and charge the battery. IT is VERY possible you have all your AC power with a failed converter. Sometimes on the charge line between the converter and battery they will install a breaker, see picture below. As a general rule it would be 18" from the battery and can be mounted on the frame. Most have a tiny tab on them that will pop out when they trip. You may not have any at all or have a few for other systems. To test you would want to see the same voltage on each post to chassis ground, if one side reads much higher it is the problem.

The other issue is the converter, it will be part of the main fuse/breaker panel OR stand alone and plug into an outlet, it will be about the size of a shoe box. IT could be under the stove, fridge, behind the breaker panel etc. Hard for me to know as they always move location per year and model. Most stand alone converter will have two fuses on them.

I hope this points you in the right direction, if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me. IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page....

Robert

Breaker

Hi.... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

ROBERT