RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We have a 2013 Artic Fox fifth wheel. The norcold frig and…

We have a 2013...

We have a 2013 Artic Fox fifth wheel. The norcold frig and the wall plug by it have no power

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

It’s consistent

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fox yourself? What have you tried so far?

Reset the gfi - checked the fuses - checked the breakers

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No the frig just beeps in the controls so I shit it off

4/29/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 4 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Sure what other info do you need.

Do you have a small digital multimeter for some testing? That would be the fastest way to track down the problem. And if you get me the model number I can get you the Service Manual for you. See the attached link for a great meter from Sears. http://www.sears.com/craftsman-multimeter-digital-with-8-functions-and-20/p-03482141000P?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

I do

Be sure that the plug at the rear of the fridge is either live or not. And then check the fuses on the control board and the incoming DC power to the board. What is the model number of this fridge?

Norcold 121X

See the attached link for that manual. Check the Hi Limit recall kit and see if the red light is on. On the rear of the fridge on the cooling unit. If that is on it has to be reset and I can get you that instruction as well. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ncold1210.pdf

Print that manual out so you have it. Lots of good diagnostic information in there. See the attached link for the ARP reset instruction. https://www.arprv.com/troubleshoot-norcold-recall.php

You need a strong magnet like on the end of a telescoping parts grabber. Most automotive parts stores sell them.

The red light is not on

Then check the fuses on the control board and the AC feed to the plug where this plugs into the rear. The incoming DC voltage to the board has to be over 11 VDC. Both AC and DC fuses on the board. If no power to the plug then the GFCI outlet that controls that plug may be tripped or bad. If you have an inverter/charger be sure and check those breakers.

No power to the plug in the back of the frig. Check all fuses and breakers and they are ok. Reset the gfi but still no power the the frig or wall plug

Is that one of those one piece plugs and faceplates? Sometimes those wires come loose in there. No adapter being used on the shore cord? Is there a cord reel? Sometimes you can lose one side of your circuits on one of those.

Breakers on the inverter/charger not tripped?

I only know of one location that has all the breakers

Just checking to be sure someone didn't add an inverter charger. Did you check the actual AC output out of the fridge breaker? If that is good, it may be the ground side that is bad. I had another question earlier that this was the problem. Sometimes a screw or staple can cut into a lead during construction and it can eventually fail.

T​o test the ground side you need to ohm out the lead between the fridge and the load center on that cable. You would probably need another piece of wire for that as you usually can't reach both ends with a meter.

I have to run some company back into town and will return in about 20 minutes.

Ok that will give me time to charge my phone

I'm back........any luck on checking those things I mentioned?

Everything works fine except the frig and the electric outlet by the frig

You will have to ohm out both sides of that plug back to the load center and that lead to see if one of those are bad. That would be the next step. Short term you can hook up the fridge to an extension cord and get it to work.

it’s ok to unplug it from the back of the frig and plug it into a extension cord

Y​es. That should get it working.

Ok I will give it a try

L​et me know what happens. At least that will get it working while you track down the AC supply issue at the plug.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification