RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Just bought an ultra lite trailer and ready to go on

Customer Question
Just bought an ultra...

Just bought an ultra lite trailer and ready to go on vacation. All of a sudden the 110 power hook up and car hook up do not supply power to microwave, air cond, and all outlets..

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Lights work off battery ok. No lights when 110 v connected and battery disconnected

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2017 but left data in RV . It’s an ultra lite

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried resetting the gfi and did not work, then reset the breaker and no affect. Measured the power on the gfi and no 110 coming in. Then I noticed the microwave and air conditioner did not have power

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I saw some wires hanging slightly under trailer and a short thick white wire like the battery cable not connected?....

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/12/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 4 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Really need to know what kind of RV this is, is it a travel trailer, Class A, Class C etc....

Robert

Travel trailer

OK

Give me several mins to type a response.... Have allot to cover....

Robert

So the system is split AC power and DC power.

The AC power is the outlets, microwave, TV's etc. The DC power is the lights, tow plug for the tow vehicle, furnace, fridge etc.

When you are plugged into power the power converter takes the AC voltage and makes the DC voltage and charges the battery. IT is possible to have all the AC power without the DC power. However in your case you have no DC power so the power converter can not charge the battery.

So we need to find out why the AC power is missing. In a travel trailer the supply voltage goes right from the pedetsal, through the shore cord to the breaker panel inside.

SO to start check the supply post you are using and make sure no breakers are tripped. Next go inside and shut ALL the breakers OFF and turn them back ON. Sometimes a breaker can trip and not look like it. Next go around and make sure you do not have a GFI that is tripped, these are outlets with a test and reset on them, they are normally in the bathroom or galley but can be just about anywhere else including the outside so check everywhere.

IT is NOT really preferred if you are plugging into a standard household outlet using an adapter and extension cord, adapters and cords can cause problems and doing that is hard on the electrical as you are trying to pull allot of amps through a small cord. IF that is the case then I suggest you plug into a good 30 amp service and see if you get the AC power back.

IF you happen to have a generator built into the RV then there is something called a Transfer Switch which could be at fault but not to many travel trailers come with a generator.

SO the problem could be the supply source you are plugging into, problem with the cord, connection issue at the breaker panel, tripped GFI... Etc I do see now where you check the GFI so probably not the problem there.

Please let me know if you have more questions or concerns, follow ups are included.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page...

Robert

Hard to say what the wires are underneath but sounds like that may be an issue, if they are part of the shore-cord then that is the problem.

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me..

Robert