RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2007 Monaco Camelot with Atwood Propane/electric…

Customer Question
I have a 2007...

I have a 2007 Monaco Camelot with Atwood Propane/electric water heater. Both electric and propane work, but water does not get hot, only warn.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

I have a 2007 Monaco Camelot motorhome with a Atwood propane/electric water heater. Water only gets warm, not hot.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Monaco yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing. I have been told the temperature is set at the factory.

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: RV
4/4/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 4 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Do you have the model of the Atwood, the reason I ask is one model uses a mixing valve...

Thanks, Robert

I don't know the model number. It is a ten gallon unit. It worked fine until the electric heater quit. I had a RV repair shop look at it,and they said a wire had shorted and they replaced it. Is there a way to adjust the temp setting, or could it be the high temp component.f I have tried the water heater on both electric and propane, and both only make warm water.

OK

Give me several mins to type a response, I will cover the XT model as that one has a mixing valve that atwood says is tamper proof but there is a way around that. It will take me several mins to type everything out, I will send you a picture as well of the XT model...

Respond shortly.

There really is no adjustment unless you have the XT model... I will get into details on that one below.

IF you do NOT have the XT model make sure if you have an outdoor sprayer the valves are shut, I have seen some issues with the valves being open the water mixing.

IF you pull up on the pressure relief under the outside access panel and it is VERY hot then the most likely cause is a failed check valve, the check valve will screw into the back of the tank it can be plastic OR brass, below is a picture of the check valve. Also under the outside panel you will have two discs that sit on the tank, they are preset,one is a T-stat and the other is a high limit cutout or ECO sometimes they can fail and they are cheap enough to replace.

IF you do in fact have the XT model then there is a mixing valve on the back. Click HERE to view. You can see the breakdown and where it is at. You should have a Red or yellow knob, and there may be glue on top of the torx head that holds that handle on. After the knob is off you should see 2 sets of splines, the small one is to adjust the temperature and the larger one is to lock the knob to prevent it from being adjusted. Might need to make several adjustments a little at a time. This would apply to if the water is the same temp for both AC and LP.

The key is how hot the water is coming out of the pressure relief, if it is VERY hot then check valve or mixing valve issue if you have the XT model, and check the outdoor sprayer valves.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me. IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page...
ROBERT

Check valve.

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped, if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

ROBERT