RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2008 Starcraft 13RT and I want to add an inverter…

Customer Question
I have a 2008...

I have a 2008 Starcraft 13RT and I want to add an inverter to run my 120V outlets. I currently have a 100 W solar panel connected to my 12 V deep cycle battery and I’m going to add a second battery wired in parallel. Trying to figure out how/where to install and wire in the inverter.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

??

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '08 RV?

13RT

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I’m not fixing it. I’m trying a add a power inverter.

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: RV
4/2/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 22 days ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Ok, what info do you need?

What size inverter are you putting in? You need to give some thought here about what you want to run off this.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I’m most likely just going to use it to charge phones and tablets, I also have a leg recovery system that has a small air pump I want to use.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I have a 12 V deep cycle battery and will likely be wiring a second in parallel. I also have a 100 W solar panel for charging the battery.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
The camper has a 3 way fridge, but I can run that off propane. The fan on the furnace seems to have a high amp draw.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I just want the convenience of charging phones and tablets, watching movies on kindles, and running my compression pump.

Find out how many watts that pump uses. That would give you a good idea of how big an inverter you need. Best use the two biggest batteries you can get in there. Most of the time that would be two 6 VDC golf cart batteries wired up in series to make one 12 VDC "unit" and gives you about 1/3 more amps capacity than two 27 series 12 VDC batteries.

If you pull out more amps than that solar panel puts back in you best thing about adding more panels. A 30 amp controller can use 450 watts of panels.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I already own the two 12 V batteries. If the wattage/amp draw on the pump is low enough, would I be ok with the two deep cycles?
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I’m mostly doing 3 day trips, so the one panel may be enough, but it’s cheap to add another panel if I have to.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
my main question is how to wire in the inverter into this camper.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
The wiring schematic in the owners manual only shows the 12 V. It doesn’t show the 120 V outlets. I’m trying to figure out how to wire this in. There’s obviously a 120 V cord if I’m at a campground with hookups, but I’ll mostly be without hookups.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
The pump is 40 Watts, about 2 amps.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Where did you go?

Just got home.........

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Do we need to continue the conversation tomorrow?

You just need to hard wire it into the batteries. Make sure you use large enough wire. Like #8 for a short run and #6 for a longer run. This would be for a 1,000 watt max size unit. Camping 3 days with only 100 watts might not get the job done.

I work until about 9 p.m. Pacific time.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
there’s no way to tie this in to the camper outlets? I’d just need to use a power strip?

Not sure what you mean? On the AC feed side?

Most smaller inverters have plugs right on them.

You can get a larger unit that hardwires into your system, but quite a lot more money.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
They do have plugs. It’s just that the camper already has outlets and I thought there was a way to get those working off the battery, instead of having to mount a power strip.

There is, but way more money. Most will be over $1,000.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Ok, thanks for your help

You are most welcome! You can always come back to this posting again later if you need more. No time limit.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Thanks, ***** ***** have a issue with the fridge not being able to light the propane. I haven’t gotten into it because it hasn’t been super important yet, but not sure what to do to figure out what’s wrong.

That should be asked as a separate question..........

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I thought since this one was so easy, I could play for a 2 for 1. ��
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Unfortunately my original question was about tying into the existing outlets...I feel like I just paid a lot to essentially be advised that it’s not a viable option.

Not the way this works............and in my shop I get $98 hr for my time. I think you got more than your money's worth, but you can always ask for and receive a full refund.

gene
gene
gene, RV Mechanic