RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I had a low battery from sitting a week (both chassis and…

Customer Question
I had a low...

I had a low battery from sitting a week (both chassis and house I tried to start the engine by boosting the batts but no turn over. I have sence got the gen started both sets of batts are up to 12 volts but not even a click from trying to start the main eng. could I have tripped a breaker? have I damaged the starter? this is a 2017 tiffin Breeze.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the battery? And have you tested it with a voltmeter?

Paul yes the batts are new with the coach the meter direct to the chassis batts reads 12 volts

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 RV?

Tiffin Breeze br32 2017

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Breeze yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have charged the batts for 3 hours and checked as many fuses and breakers I could find

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/1/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

IS all your dash power coming on? Do you have an Allison shift pad and is that lighting up for you at all?

Robert

Everything on the chassis side has power inc dash lifgts
The Allison shift pad comes on and is in NN

If everything has power and you are getting no noise at all you could have a faulty starter solenoid, one of the cables from the chassis battery should go to the starter and near the starter you should have a solenoid, you can jump power across the solenoid and see if the engine cranks over when you turn the key on one of the smaller posts should be energized and then transfer power across the solenoid. Make sure the parking brake is set and the engine is in park or neutral. Check the rear engine area and make sure you do not have an emergency stop button as well, it would be in plain view and be a round button you push in on to kill the engine, if that was tripped then it would not do anything.

I would not think you have a breaker but double check the cables from the battery to the outside fuse box, make sure everything in that box has power. IF the trans pad was dead that would have also prevented it from starting but that is good, it is sounding possibly like a starter solenoid issue. Might need a mobile tech to come out and take a look as well.

Sorry can not do a call at this moment, another expert may jump in and take the call at anytime.

Please feel free to follow up with me in this format I am around daily and respond WHEN I can.

ROBERT

Thanks I am not at the r/v now, but will do what you said this afternoon or tomorrow.
Paul

Let me know if you need more help on this..

Thanks... Robert

I made a jumper to the solenoid. Solenoid OK, Starter OK, Engine fired up So the problem is in the wiring or there is a fuse or breaker I don't know about.Looks like a trip to the dealer.
Paul

Glad you got it started, could be the actual ignition switch if you are not getting a signal, on some RV'S they actual have a separate ignition solenoid that is separate from the starter solenoid. The ignition wire goes to that solenoid and then to the starter solenoid.

Being a 2017 you still might be under warranty and if you can get it started now I might have the dealer take a look...

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page, it is the only way I get credit for helping out...

ROBERT

Hi.... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

ROBERT

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped, if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

ROBERT

For Gods sake shut this off will you. I got my answer already

I have nothing to do with the automated responses, if you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page, it is the only way I get credit for helping out.

Robert