RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We have a 2016 sandpiper fifth wheel. The slides and

Customer Question
We have a 2016...

We have a 2016 sandpiper fifth wheel. The slides and leveling jacks will not move. We’ve checked the fuses

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?

No I can’t find the other one. Please please help. We are hooked up and ready to travel. It’s on the truck and we can’t get it to move.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '16 RV?

380bh5

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Sandpipe

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Do you think it could be a high amp circuit breaker?

Submitted: 18 days ago.Category: RV
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Please help u!
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
We have the camper hooked up to the truck and the slides won’t come in ad the jacks won’t come up. We can not locate the other fuse box.
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
4/1/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 18 days ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Check near the battery for a tripped breaker, as a general rule it would be 18" from the battery and can be on the frame, below is a picture. You would want to see voltage on each post to chassis ground, not across the posts. IF one side reads higher then it is your problem. Most time the slides and leveling jacks are wired directly to the battery and you need good voltage AT the battery and sometimes they will put that breaker in-line for protection. Some are thermal and self rest and others have a tiny tab on them that pops out when they trip.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me. IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page.

Robert

Breaker.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
All I see is a 100 amp hi-amp fuse
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Can you help us further?
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
I checked and it looks like I am getting the same amount of amperage from both legs of the fuse

You would be checking voltage on each side, what is the voltage on each post?

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
If I’m reading correctly it looks like 11.1
I’m not sure I have my meter set correctly thiugh

OK

11.1 volts is a little bit low. In fact it could be part of the problem, once you get under 11.5 volts you can start to have problems and items may not work, you probably still have lights but when it comes to running anything with a motor you might have problems, ideally you would want to see the voltage at least 12.5 volts to operate the slides and jacks.

Do you happen to know the manufacturer of the Jacks or Slide-room? Are these Hydraulic or ALL electric?

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
It is a LCI auto leveling system

OK

Let me see if I can find any information and diagrams on that, it will take me several mins, IF I do not have any info I will still let you know and put your question back up for other experts.

ALSO so I am clear is the LCI control pad turning on at all?

Robert

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
It was earlier during this process and would allow me to move the jacks about one inch and then all power to the controller would go away. I would wait about 20 seconds, power it back on and the same results would appear

I almost wonder if the voltage has something to do with this, is there anyway you can charge that battery up at all? Get it to around 13 volts?

Robert

If there is any type of error you should be able to hold down retract and enter for 3 seconds to clear any faults, I still think the voltage is to low at 11.1 volts.

Robert

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
The panel will not even power on any longer

Right.... Need to get that battery voltage up to around 13 volts and then see what happens....

Let me know.... Robert

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
The batteries are brand new. I just bought them yesterday. They have been in the unit overnight and are fully charged.

11.1 volts is not fully charged, really need to get a reading at the battery. I understand they are new but if they have been in use and or you had a draw the voltage would drop. When you are plugged into power the power converter should be charging them and you should have close to 14 volts plugged in. The fact that the control pad will not even turn on tells me that possibly voltage has something to do with this as you indicated you only had 11.1 volts.

Robert

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
I am plugged into the house with the campers power cord. I have been running the refridgerator as well as several other things for the past several days with no issues.

I understand you are plugged in, when you are plugged in the power converter makes the DC voltage and charges the batteries. The slideout and jacks are normally wired to the batteries so really need to know what the voltage is at the battery, I keep going off your comment with the 11.1 volts which is to low.

Click HERE and see if this looks like your set up if so look at the wiring diagram, at the battery the red wire goes through L and then right after that is a fuse, it is inside a fuse holder, blade style.....

I see the fuse in the black fuse holder, have you checked that?

Robert

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
I have had to replace one of them several times. One of them intermittently will blow. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t.

As far as I can tell in the diagram that fuse will supply power to the control box and the control box supplies power to the control pad which is not turning on. This might require a mobile tech to come have a look at if the fuses are still good and you have good battery voltage. You are losing the voltage at some point in the circuit.

My goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, IF you would like to try another expert on this please let me know, I only get credit when you select a STAR rating on the page...

ROBERT

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
I’d love to try anything else. You’ve been very helpful in trying to figure it out. What would the costs be in switching to another technician?
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Is there a battery switch?
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Where can we find that other circuit breaker?

I doubt there is a battery switch if everything else is working, if you had one then it would be near the battery and it could be a manual style switch. Meaning a lever.

I really think since the control pad will not power on it is a wiring issue with the circuit.

AS far as the picture I sent you earlier for the breaker that can be 18" from the battery it will have a cable going to each side of it. In the first picture you sent I think I see 2 of them, to the right where it says bunk there is a metal strip and the breaker is gray has a red cable on each side, and then it look like possibly another on the end, each post on them should have voltage. And that would be to chassis ground, NOT across them.

Robert

RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 17 days ago

Hi.... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

ROBERT

RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 13 days ago

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped, if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

ROBERT

Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic