RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Thor Venetian dead battery wont charge. “Dead Battery Charge…

Customer Question
Thor Venetian dead battery...

Thor Venetian dead battery wont charge. “Dead Battery Charge DC 3.1V OA” + solid red fault light; blinking green charge light. Was accidentally left unplugged 2 weeks ago. Plugged last night and have gotten this ever since.

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2016. Bought one year ago brand new.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried breakers to plug source; tried running engine a while, tried starting generator

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Don’t think so.

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: RV
3/31/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 21 days ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Only one battery?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
You can call, but my husband is at work. If it’s something I can do easily no problem. Trying to get it going for ref/freezer.

Sorry for the delay. I was having lunch. Is the battery disconnect solenoid in the "store" position? Try hitting that. If the batteries died it reverts to the "store" position. That may be all that is wrong here. I will be away for just about 15 minutes more here.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Where would that be located?

Most are either on the dash or on the side of a cabinet when you come in the side entry door. Usually two of them. One for the chassis batteries and one for the house batteries. Usually say "Coach" and "Chassis" and some have a red light next to them.

If you can, attach a photo or two of the switch areas in there and I should be able to spot them. Rocker style switches that return to their original position once you release them.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Ok. I tried one I thought it was, but will send pic in a few. Thx!

10-4.

Yes! House batteries. You should hear a "click" when you hit that. Did the 12 VDC systems come on? You will need the batteries full up before you can run the fridge off the inverter.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
No click. Red fault light still lit on panel. Charge light blinking green.

It will take some time to charge them up. If you have or can come up with a small digital multimeter like you can find at most hardware stores that can be helpful so you can check the voltage at the batteries. About $20 or so and easy to use.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
OK. Will have to wait and see...
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Randall,
There is nothing different. Idk...

If the batteries were discharged and froze they will not be able to absorb a charge. You might want to have them load tested to be sure. Take a photo of the cables so you get them hooked back up again correctly. Observe the orientation in the tray as well. Most places that sell batteries can load test them for you. If they are bad, HD Interstate batteries would be the best choice, but Duracell has some good ones too and Sams Club has a good buy on those or Costco. Let me know what happens.

RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 19 days ago

Just checking back in to see if you were able to get the batteries load tested or not?

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
My son put each battery on a charger. One took no charge. Will try today w new battery.

Super! Just be careful when you hook them back up again.

RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 15 days ago

Just checking back in to see if putting that new battery corrected the problem here?

Got the photos. Not sure what you wanted me to see there. Did he take photos of the cables before he took them out? And then hit the battery disconnect solenoid switch to put them back into service again?

RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 13 days ago

So is this all good now?

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Well, not happy that it costs so much for new batteries. We bought the motorhome new 14 months ago. Is this average battery lifetime?

They should last 3 years or more with good care. The water has to be checked at least once a month when in use.

B​ut now everything is working again properly?

Super! So now take good care of these and keep them full of distilled water and the terminals clean. Good job!

Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification