RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Norcold N611 would stop working on occasion over the last 4…

Customer Question
Norcold N611...

Norcold N611 would stop working on occasion over the last 4 years. had a service tech check it and they found no issues. Now it is not cooling at all.

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

6 months

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I do not have any service techs in my area. i have to take it an hour anyway so yes i was going to try to look at it today

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It is level! i tested the thermister it appears ok

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: RV
3/31/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 22 days ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Have you tried running the fridge on BOTH LP and AC power with the same results?

Robert

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Neither works

OK

Give me a few mins to type a response....

Thanks.. Robert

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I would have to pay $26 more to do a phone call with you

OK.... So this might not be good news, if it does not cool on BOTH LP and AC power and you ohmed out the thermistor then it sounds like the cooling unit.

A cooling unit can rupture or become blocked, for a rupture you might smell ammonia or see a yellowish powder on the back of the fridge.

For a blockage you might not have any symptoms at all but no cooling on BOTH LP AND AC power. IT is really difficult to unblock them but I have had other RV owners tell me that tapping the absorber coils with a rubber mallet sometimes helps.

One final test you can do to be sure it is the cooling unit, you can hot wire the AC element, turn the fridge OFF and see if the box cools, this can be accomplished with an old lamp cord or extension cord, cut the female end off then wire nut the wires to the AC heating element and plug it in. You are providing a heating source and bypassing all the controls. IF the box does not cool the cooling unit is the problem..

Yes, there is an additional fee for a phone call.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, I am around daily and respond when I can.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page, it is the only way I get "credit" for helping you out.

ROBERT

You can follow up with me as much as needed, click HERE for a service manual on this fridge. You can see the AC heating element on page 18, it runs from the flue canister to the circuit board under the outside access panel.....

Let me know if you need more help on this, if you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page..

Robert

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I took back cover of refrigerator off— there is yellow powdery substance in the flue

IT would not be on the flue but more on the absorber coils that zig zag back and forth. Really sounding like the cooling unit on this if the thermistor was tested. IF it cooled on one source and not the other it would NOT be a cooling unit issue.

Robert

RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 21 days ago

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped, if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

ROBERT

RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 16 days ago

ROBERT

Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic