RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

The fridge won’t go to 12 v battery when the car is running.

Customer Question
The fridge won’t go...

The fridge won’t go to 12 v battery when the car is running

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

The domestic fridge won’t go to 12 v battery when we are on the road. It works with gas and 240v. the domestic fridge in our caravan won’t

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?

The dometic fridge in our caravan won’t go to 12 v battery when the car is running. It is fine on gas and 240v.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

We checked a fuse and it was ok. The electrics of the car are fine too we think

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: RV
3/31/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 3 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

That is usually either a blown fuse on the control board OR a burned out 12 VDC heating element. It might be not getting a signal from the ignition circuit. Pretty easily tested in most cases, depending on the model number. Get back to me with this and I can offer more here. All follow ups are included in our fee. About 1:00 a.m. here now and I am signing off until later this morning.

Fuse checked and ok, battery fully charged?

This has to receive a signal from the ignition switch on your vehicle in order for that 12 VDC mode to work. You can check that at the rear of the fridge with a small digital multimeter like you can find at most automotive or hardware stores. You can also use it to check the heating element on the rear of the fridge to see if that might be burned out or not. Or it might not be the controls allowing it to come on. Easy enough to check with the meter. If you can give me the model number of your fridge I can get you some additional information on this.

Problem sorted thanks. Service call finished.

G​reat! Thanks for getting back to me and letting me know. And you are most welcome!