RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My Norcold N611 RV fridge just started to have problems

My Norcold N611 RV...

My Norcold N611 RV fridge just started to have problems cooling. It is above freezing in the freezer and too warm in the fridge. We run it long term on 110V. I just switched it to propane to see if that makes a difference.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

Norcold N610 and it is about 11 years old.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Not sure. We have a warranty plan that might cover it, but just need to get it working.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

We are located near Santa Barbara, CA.

3/30/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 4 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Give me a few mins to type a response...

Thanks, Robert

Really important to know if it is cooling on LP or not. Normally if you get poor or NO cooling on BOTH AC power and LP it could be an issue with the thermistor or cooling unit.

The thermistor can be ohmed out with a volt meter to see if it is good or not, click HERE and see page 20. It will show you how to test that.

The other problem is the cooling unit, the cooling unit can rupture or become blocked. For a rupture you might smell ammonia, or see a yellowish powder on the back side of the fridge. For a blockage you may not have any symptoms at all but NO cooling on BOTH LP AND AC. IF it cools on LP then it is not a thermistor or cooling unit problem but may be an issue with the AC heating element, that can also be tested and is covered in the service manual.

Make sure the fridge is level, if not re-level and let sit for several hours and then try again. IF the cooling unit is blocked I have had other RV owners tell me tapping the absorber coils on the back of the fridge with a rubber mallet sometimes helps, this is the tubing that zig zags on the back of the fridge. A cooling unit will cost more then 1/2 of what a new fridge will and the labor is more the replace a cooling unit, something to keep in mind.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, I am around daily and respond WHEN I can.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page...
ROBERT

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Was just checking in to see if my answer was helpful? If you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me..

Robert

Well, I tried everything including a new thermistor to no avail. So I took it into an RV shop about an hour away for them to look at it. They checked everything and it cooled properly when they tested it. It is still cooling, but they surmise that there was probably a blockage that was loosened up by the 1 hour trip to the shop. They also think that it will probably fail again in the not too distant future. So far, so good.

Thanks for the update on this.... That is possible with the driving it got things going again. Just make sure you keep it level at all times, it can last a good bit longer.

Thanks for the update... Robert