RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Do you have any mechanics in the Peoria Arizona area that…

Customer Question
Do you have any...

Do you have any mechanics in the Peoria Arizona area that could look at my RV AC unit, my thermostat is not recognizing zone 2 after I tried to install an easy start on the ac unit.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Brand new unit, less then 1 year old, was working just fine a few days ago.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2018 Dometic penquin II

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Airstream

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

2018

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: RV
3/28/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 3 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

ok

W​hich thermostat do you have? Did you check the dip switch settings and try a full reset on the thermostat?

Capacitive touch or Comfort Control II version?

I have a domestic ii
I did try the relearn the zone option
I did look at the switch settings on the control board and it shows zone two on

Do you have the User's Guide for that? If not, see the attached link. Are you sure you got the cable for the other A/C plugged in? http://www.primetimerv.com/download/ComponentManuals/Thermostat-DualZoneComfortControl-Dometic-OperatingInstructions.pdf

Reset on page 11.

I do have user manual and did press the two boutons to recognize zones. It only finds the one zone

You may have not hooked up the other cable or it may need some cleaning. That would be the usual reason for it not to "see" zone 2.

It could be at the connection of the Zone 1 A/C or at the other end at the Zone 2 unit. Usually, taking the RJ-11 cable out and re-connecting it will solve this.

Is the rj11 like a cat 5 or phone plug connection?

Looks just like a phone cord.

Should be two of them in the Zone 1 A/C and just one in the Zone 2 A/C.

Ok thanks I will try it tomorrow when I have day light

You are most welcome! Let me know if you need more later.....

After removing and reinstalling, still not able to see zone 2

Do you have a small digital multimeter for testing the cable?

See page 8 on the attached link for how to test the cable. You will need an old style phone ***** *****ke you can get at most hardware stores. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ccc5.pdf

I do have power going to the climate control unit and AC.
I checked and both zone 1 and zone 2 have 5 DC going to them but the one zone does not work.I think at this point I will replace the sensor, do you know where I can buy the sensor?
I am referring to the outside tempature sensor

I don't think that is the problem. Most any RV dealer has parts for these. More apt to be a bad cable or control board in the Zone 2 A/C. What is the model number of these two units?

Let me check on the part number for that and get back to you. Let me give this some thought here.

Zone 2 was working before you installed the hard start kit?

now since I checked the DC voltage on zone 1 and zone 2 they both are not working, thus is there some reset or something we are missing when you disconnect the climate control from the unit?

You do have to do a system reset each time power is removed. That is in the manual I gave you.

I am doing the reset on the thermostat but now no zones are showing up.

Did you blow a fuse? I talked to a tech about this at Dometic and he tells me that those phone cable couples are extremely troublesome on those cables and that you should be seeing about 12 VDC and so 5 won't cut it.

That sensor part number is(###) ###-####000 and is about $20 or so. Not sure how much those phone couplers are.

Do you know where the fuse panel is on the 2018 airstream and what fuse in the panel I might check?

In the load center, but not sure in that unit where this would be. Usually along the floorline. Dark brown or black.

J​ust checking back in to see how this was going?

I have called a repair shop to send out a technician

Hopefully, they will have some experience with this particular problem. I was told by a tech friend at another large repair facility that these have been especially troublesome at that connection. Please let me know what the outcome is.