RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We have a 2014 Minnie Winnie 31K. The underside of the

We have a 2014...

We have a 2014 Minnie Winnie 31K. The underside of the cab-over sleep area, on the outside, has a piece of trim going across the width of the RV and

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

The ends of the metal trim piece have separated from the fiber-glass. What do I do to make sure no water gets in. One side of the metal trim piece has separated approx. 1/4" down from the underside, the other has separated only a little. Do I have to take off this trim piece to repair it, or just use RV/boat adhesive to reattach the ends and caulk it?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '14 RV?

It's a Minnie Winnie 31K.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything yet, because I didn't want to take the trim off if I didn't have to.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, except I want to make sure he know's the trim piece I'm talking about. It's approx. 2" wide, 1/16" or 3/32" thick and has a channel that goes up into the cab-over, like an upside down T

3/28/2018
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Would it be possible for you to attach some photos of the area? You should be able to do that by using the paper clip icon on the page.

Thanks, Robert

OK

Give me a few mins to type a response, thanks for the picture it helps....

Robert

SO what I might do is see if there is any kind of support under that, if so then I might pack that with some Sika Flex 227 and then use a single stainless rivet on the end to hold it up. The rivet may not be needed and you may be able to get away with filling that withe the Sika Flex and then tape it with duct tape for at least 12 hours so the it stays intact. The Sika flex 227 is a high-quality multi purpose non-sag 1-c polyurethane adhsive/sealant that cures on exposure to atmospheric humidity to form a durable elastomer.

You might have some support on that end if it is metal you can get a small drill bit and pre-drill and then after the sealant is underneath use a stainless rivet. IF not no worries try using the tape method, the more pressure you can get put on that area while the Sika is setting up the better off you are going to be.

Hope this helps some, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page... Robert

What is under this trim piece?

IF that has a T then it snaps into place and under that section would 1/8" or 3/16" luan board, the fiberglass gets glued to that and then they use the trim piece to help hold everything up. Some trim pieces have a channel and they snap into place which yours could be, out near the edge you will normally have framing for support.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic