RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My black water tank is clogged. I can't use the flush

Customer Question
My black water tank...

My black water tank is clogged. I can't use the flush king because it is only allowing more water into the tank but not. How can I get it drained.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

2007 New Horizon/Summit

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '07 RV?

New Horizon Summit

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Horizon yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have tried the Flush King. I have tried chemicals. The valve is open

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any leaks lately?

No leaks

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Should I try and get a pumping truck to pump it?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: RV
3/28/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

SO if you tried chemicals and the flush king and that is only putting more water into the tank you are running out of options on this. Make sure the black tank vent on the roof is also clear and clean if that was plugged it would not help matters. I suspect the problem is going to be at the valve and the only way to fix that is to have a truck come pump out the tank and then remove the valve and replace it. This can still be a messy job and you will need at least a 5 gallon bucket to catch whatever comes out once the valve is removed, the valve body will have 4 bolts and nuts and normally when you loosen them up you can let it drip out and then spread the piping and get the rest out.

Hope this points you in the right direction, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page...

ROBERT

Only other thing you might want to try is get an old garden hose and sprayer and try to snake it up the discharge piping move it around while giving short burst of water, that is if the toilet is already not filled, I have had luck in the past doing that, only danger is if the blockage gives it is going to come out really fast.

Robert

Oh believe me Robert I thought about that but in the spirit of not have a face full of sh...t, I decided against it! Thank you though. I guess I am going to the check the vent pipe because now that I'm thinking about it when I drain my grey water tank it flows freely and fast. When I would use the Flush King and open the drain in flowed only to the point the it would back up stop as though it wasn't getting the air to flow. It would be nice if that's the issue but I will have to wait until the morning to check.

So on the vent pipe it will have a cap over it, under the vent pipe is the abs piping it should be above the roof line about 3" or so, if that abs pipe fell back into the tank it would be an issue.

Let me know if you need more help on this, I know it is not a fun thing to have happen in a RV....

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page, you can still follow up as needed.

Thanks... ROBERT

Was just checking in to see if my answer helped? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me....

ROBERT