RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We hooked up 6 batteries in our 1999 Renegade diesel

Customer Question
We hooked up 6...

We hooked up 6 batteries in our 1999 Renegade diesel motorhome. Someone told us they were hooked up wrong. Now there is an error message saying "No data link connection." Some one told us they think the ECM and motherboard might be ruined but the batteries are still good. Is that possible?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?

About 28,000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Renegade yourself? What have you tried so far?

One place installed the batteries and some one else is trying to find out why it will still not start and stay running. The second company wired the batteries and installed a test ECM but the engine still wouldn't start and the same message is there.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that the second company said he found ground wires were running to positive and positives were ran to ground.

Submitted: 30 days ago.Category: RV
3/27/2018
RV Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 30 days ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

If the batteries were connected incorrectly this will fry/damage computers in your model here.I have run into this several times before in the past.This can be the engine ECU at fault among other computers.But unfortunately, this does happen when connected incorrectly.

What needs to be done is to use a compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your model ( once the batteries are wired in properly) to see which computers your scan tool communicates with and which it does not.The computers it does not communicate with than the power and grounds need to be tested at these computers to make sure they have the correct power and ground signals.If all power and ground signals are present and o.k. at the computers then the affected computers that are not communicating will then need to be replaced.

Keep in mind it may not be just the engine computer or the engine computer itself.Your instrument gauge cluster is a computer, you have a brake computer and a body computer in most cases.Any of these will cause the data link connection issue as well as start fault.

This is a long procedure that has to be gone through to then locate which electrical components need to be replaced unfortunately.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
What about the batteries, would they be damaged if hooked up incorrectly and then someone tried to start the motorhome?

They should be o.k..Usually, they will discharge or short out while hooked up but once disconnected have them each tested to make sure the polarity of them did not get reversed or any were damaged.In most cases, they will be o.k.Usually, if the polarity is reversed you can connect something to each battery to drain them completely then recharge them with positive to positive and negative to negative to correct this on each of the batteries one at a time.A local parts store can test these free of charge for you.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician