RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

On our newly acquired 87 HOliday Rambler 5th wheel, the

voltage converter went out and...
On our newly acquired 87 HOliday Rambler 5th wheel, the voltage converter went out and was replaced. Now the control panel lights above the door on the Dometic rm2802 fridge won't come on.
3/27/2018
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

SO normally on many Dometics you have a circuit board located under the outside access panel, it will have a cover on it, if you remove the cover normally there will be some fuses, one for the DC power or what allows the fridge to turn ON and one for the AC power, make sure the fridge is unplugged as you do not want to touch the AC fuse with it plugged in. IF the fuse on the board was blown for the DC side the fridge would not turn on. Beyond that you would need to check at the back of the fridge to see if it is getting DC voltage....

Please let me know if you need more help, follow ups are included.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page...
ROBERT

OK...

SO after doing some more checking on this I am not so sure if that board is going to have fuses on it as this is an older fridge, however you should have a 12 volt terminal block for the DC power that is required to run the fridge, click HERE this manual should apply to your fridge as it does have info on that model, it may help you out troubleshooting, IF you find you have NO DC voltage to the back of the fridge check your fuses again and then check near the battery for an in-line fuse, I have see some of these older units where they will run power directly to the battery and use an in-line fuse or even a shortstop style breaker. So the first step is to establish if you have DC power going into the fridge. The manual is not the best for pictures but figured it still might help you out..... Robert

To be clear, the outside access has a double 110 outlet plug/receptacle like in a house, and above it an on/off toggle switch. the toggle switch on activates some kind of fan or motor. A white 3 prong cord like a normal 110 extension cord is plugged into the outlet. I am in the house and the RV is parked on the back of our lot, so I need to go out and see what i can find.

YES the fridge runs on AC power but needs DC power to turn on, when you are inspecting everything just unplug the cord for your safety. Look at the manual I sent, you should have a DC terminal block the supply wires get screwed down into, from there the DC power goes to the circuit board, need to see if you actually have DC power at that point....

Robert

I am actually near Ensenada, Baja Calif, Mex. I now have this on my cel phone and am going outside to see what I find.

10-4

I am here just respond to me as needed....

Robert

There is voltage there. What is the toggle switch that activates a fan or something? And where is the circuit board? In another place some mentioned cutting off all power for an hour and resetting smething??

Some of these older units do have a fan switch to activate the fan to help cool the back of the fridge. IF it got to hot in the back it could be an issue.

Normally the circuit board will be under that outside access panel and have a bunch of wires going to it, the DC supply wires that you say have voltage should be going to the board, the board normally has a cover in the manual I sent see page 80..... That is the board, make sure it has no brown or burn marks on it.

I have uncovered the board and it doesn't appear to have any problems.

OK...

Not looking good, if you have DC power going into the board the board could have failed, if the polarity or something was shorted when the new converter went in it could have caused the board to fail. This is a real old fridge as well and not sure you are going to get parts for it. SO what I would do is look the service manual over I provided you and see if you can do anymore checks. IT might be time to replace this unit with a newer model. The entire key is you have DC voltage present and it should be turning on for you...

Hope this points you in the right direction, if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page.

ROBERT

Supposedly there should be some kind of current going out of the circuit board, right? Is there a way to check this? Is there another circuit board up top where the lights above the door are?

SO the display is called the eyebrow or upper control board, the lower board supplies voltage to that if there is a problem with the lower board then it is not going to send power to the upper display.

Give me several mins to look at the manual and see if there is a certain wire that should be sending voltage to that, I have to break down the wiring diagram.

Robert

OK

So I looked at the manual some more I sent and it is really important that this fridge is getting the DC supply from the battery and not from the power converter, power converters can cause AC ripple and the boards on the fridges do not like it, especially these older models, what you could do just to be sure it is not the new power converter is to hook a DC supply source directly to the terminal block for the fridge, this will bypass all the wiring in the RV and tell you if that is the problem. You would need a 12 volt battery and some jumper wires going from the battery to the terminal block. I say jumper wires but what I mean is the same size gauge wires that are in the terminal block currently.

I can not find a good diagram for that upper panel but you should be seeing voltage on one of the pins at that display panel....

Robert

Thanks Robert, It is lunch time here. I have an electrician friend helping me and I have been reading more in the manual as well. We will see what we can find. I may contact again in an hour or so. Where are you located, in what time zone? Hoiw long will you be available today?

I am in PST time zone and I am generally around from 6 am pst until 9pm pst... Of course I take breaks and things like that but I always respond back if needed.

This one is a challenge because of the age of the fridge. Not allot of info available but they all need DC power to turn on and work and it has to be filtered DC voltage or from the battery.

Feel free to contact me if needed.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page.... Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Robert, we got it going. Somewhere I read about possibly needing a reset, by unplugging the main AC cord to the RV for a bit and then plugging it back in. Apparently that did the trick. Thank you so very much for your help and showing me where to get the manual for that fridge. Would you happen to know where I could find an owners manual for the 87 Holiday Rambler Aluma-lite 5th wheel RV? Again, thank you very much, you have been very helpful. Calvin Anderson, Mexico missionary for 33+ years.

SO getting manual is really hard, there used to be a manual exchange online and I just checked and that does not appear to be valid anymore. I think your best chance is to join some online groups such as on Yahoo or iRV2 and join some of the Holiday Rambler towable groups, many times owners will share information. Such as manuals and wiring diagrams etc, it would be worth a shot. As far as the appliances if you have the make and model you can always find info my favorite one is Bryant RV lots of good info on the appliances. Click HERE for them, I would bookmark that page.

I am so glad you got the fridge going on this..... Please feel free to request me in the future with any other RV related needs, I am around daily.

THANK YOU! ROBERT