RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2002 Pace Arrow. The engine battery keeps going dead. But…

2002 Pace Arrow. The...

2002 Pace Arrow. The engine battery keeps going dead. But the coach batteries are charged up. Does the converter charge the engine battery also when plugged into AC?

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

I use a volt meter. The battery went dead twice.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Volt yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked voltage with converter plugged in, 12 volts and with the engine running, 14 volts.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Installed new battery and and tested it that way.

3/27/2018
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

YES Both sets of batteries will be kept charged by the chassis engine alternator and charging system while you are driving. The DC power converter will charge the chassis and house batteries when plugged into 120-volt AC service or by the generator.

Make sure if you have a house disconnect switch it is turned ON so the chassis battery can charge. The most likely cause for the chassis battery NOT charging is a bad solenoid for the circuit, you should have a solenoid that ties the batteries together, if you go to the battery and follow the larger cables it should go to the solenoid, many times it is also the aux boost solenoid that does the charging to the battery, make sure you also do not have any breakers tripped as well.

One temp solution for this is to install a manual disconnect at the chassis battery it is a blade that moves up and down and breaks contact or isolates the power to the battery, most aut parts stores carry them...

Please let me know if you have more questions or concerns...

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page...

ROBERT

Okey is it fair to say that since I only get 12 volts on the chassis battery and 14 volts when I run the engine, either the solenoid or the connection switch in the control panel is bad?

Yes most likely it is that solenoid, and on may set ups they use the boost solenoid for the charging however if you have a battery control box the solenoids are located in then the board can be at fault, if you want to do some poking around and get back to me that is fine. IF you happen to find a battery control box with the solenoids, fuses breakers inside of it please get me the make and model of that. It might say RV custom products or something else.

You can also follow up anytime, no time limits, I am around daily and respond when I can.

Please keep in mind I only get "credit" when you select a STAR rating on the page...

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Okay I'll do some poking around.

10-4

Robert