RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2009 Dutchmen 29QB. When it rains, the slide out…

Customer Question
I have a 2009...

I have a 2009 Dutchmen 29QB. When it rains, the slide out leaks directly above the couch. Not through the actual roof. I have put roof sealer on the top of the slide out, but it is still leaking. Any suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?

Hoses?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '09 RV?

29QB

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. All I have done is put sealant on top of the slide out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: RV
3/27/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

SO are you sure it is not leaking past the swipe seal around the slide-room?

DID you seal the entire top of the slide-room?

Robert

All this would take is a small void in any sealant, the swipe seal not making contact with the room etc. In the shop what we do is dry the area out really well and then simulate a rain event with a garden hose and sprayer, do small areas at a time to help pin the area down, sometimes water can get in at any point and travel then leak out where it wants to. So doing the sprayer method normally will show you where the water is leaking from. OF course the seals around the room or box need to be making contact or water is just going to get inside. IF you see any molding make sure that is also sealed up really good.

Please let me know if you have more questions or concerns, follow ups are included, IF you also want to send some pictures of the top of the slide-room it may help, you can add photos into your reply using the paper clip icon on the page.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page.....

Robert

Hi.... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

ROBERT