RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

The step will not go out on our Monaco Camelot 2007. I got…

Customer Question
The step will not...

The step will not go out on our Monaco Camelot 2007

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Monaco yourself? What have you tried so far?

I got under the coach checked electrical.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Was working fine and then quit.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Have you checked your fuse boxes for a blown fuse yet?

Robert

we checked #1 &#2 in the main panel

OK

Give me a few mins to type a response...

Thank you... Robert

We paid for the email

So if you checked the step fuses and they are good then this could be the step motor or control box, they can fail.

What you can do is access the motor under the step and jump voltage direct and see if the step will move in and out. You will need a 12 volt battery and some wires to go from the battery to the leads on the step motor, if nothing happens reverse the wires and the step should move for you, if nothing happens at all then the motor has failed. Try smacking the motor a few times, sometimes they can get condensation inside of them and seize up and tapping them sometimes works.

IF you can jump the step and it works both ways then I would be looking at the control box as the possible problem, the control box will also be under the step and will have the wires running to the motor, if you have voltage going into the control box and can get the step to move jumping power then the control box is at fault.

Many times when you open the door you can hear the control box click each time if it is getting power. Also inspect all the wires underneath make sure nothing has come loose or is corroded as the wiring can be exposed to the elements....

Hope this points you in the right direction, If you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me..

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page...

ROBERT

Will try these extra things. We have electric to box but not coming out.
Is there a manual way to get step out so we can get to box?

YES I just explained all that get a 12 volt battery and disconnect the motor wires. Get some small wires about 12" long and jump the motor directly and the step should go out for you. Sometimes even a charged 12 volt drill battery will work. So you would be applying voltage directly to the motor from the battery the step should go for you. IF nothing happens reverse the wires and it should want to run out and stay out.

IT sounds like the control box if you have voltage going into it but not out.......

Hope this makes sense, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page. You can follow up as much as you like. ROBERT

Hi.... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

ROBERT