RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a JB DR extreme 22.3 bought new on 9/8/17. The air…

Customer Question
I have a JB...

I have a JB DR extreme 22.3 bought new on 9/8/17. The air con does not perform very well at all. When you select auto and set temp between 20-24 degrees it does not cut out at all like it should according to your manual. Its very noisy and we find it very hard to go to sleep. No matter how we set the air con auto or manual its hopeless. when we ordred our van i asked for a ibis comandamatic 3 but was told i had had to have a dometic and was told they were as quiet as the ibis(bull shit) Our van is currently at choice caravans in Adelaide having some warranty work done on it. I would verymuch love to have this issue resolved while the van is there as we are heading of on our lap in may.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do the vents feel cold? Is there a coolant leak?

The vents aren't cold they are cool and there is no coolant leak.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '17 RV?

Its a dirt road extreme

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

No we arent fixing our RV it goes to a authorised JB dealer for any work.We have only tried different temp settings trying to get it working properly.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think the mechanic should talk to Adam at Choice caravans in Adelaide about it because like i said the van is there and he knows about my complaint. I am not the person to fix it. ( i spent $80,000 buying the van) i"m not the person to fix it. I expect to just be able to turn it on and set it, just like ive done with the ibis we have had in our other vans.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: RV
3/27/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 4 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is Randall and I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Sorry for the delay in someone getting to your question. It came in during the middle off the night here. I am in California and it is only 5:30 a.m. now. I just wanted you to know that your question wasn't being ignored. If you asked for the Ibis A/C when you purchased it then I don't know why they couldn't have exchanged it before you took possession of the unit. It wouldn't have been that hard to do then. Unless for some reason the Ibis unit wasn't available. It could have been figured into the price. I think your complaint should be registered with the seller you bought this from and have them rectify the problem for you. I have an RV repair shop in California and know that some Dometic units can be pretty noisy. I am not familiar with the Ibis model. If you need more detailed information on what your rights might be in this I would want you to consider asking one of the lawyers in our legal section. This might be better suited for them as far as recommending some solutions for you. Hope that points you in the right direction here. If you need another opinion on this I would be happy to opt out of the question. Just let me know. Thanks!

I have complained to the seller and he told me that I have to deal with dometic myself.

W​as this a private seller or a dealer? If this was a dealer and you asked for the Ibis unit at the time of purchase they should have done that then.

Dometic is pretty good on their warranty issues and perhaps a call to them would at least bring some correction in the problem with the performance on this unit. Most dealerships are set up to handle any warranty issues like this.

See the attached link for that contact information. http://www.dometicrvcentre.com.au/contactus

Just checking back in to see if Dometic was able to give you some help on this?