RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2016 Kodiak Dutchemen equipped with the ge. It runs…

Hello I have a...

Hello I have a 2016 Kodiak Dutchemen equipped with the ge. It runs great off of propane but it will not run of of power. The light on the fridge is solid yellow and it not flashing or giving any codes. I have checked the outlet and the GFI and it is reading good. I also already checked the fuses on the board and they are fine as well. I also checked the AC heater elemnt and it is really hot so that appea be working. What else can I do????

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?

Yes all fuses are good. The fuse panel inside will have a red light next to the bad fuse if any of them are bad.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '16 RV?

Its a 33' Kodiak Dutchemen 2016 291 RESL

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have tried everyting that i previeously wrote up above

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

What is the model number of the fridge? Should be a sticker inside the door..

Thanks, Robert

Ok thanks

Get me the model number of the fridge and I should be able to assist you on this...

Robert

Ok it is a n611v norcold

OK

Perfect..... So you mentioned you checked the AC heating element and it is hot, did you actually ohm it out?

Robert

it had a reading I believe it was .3. It didnt stay on -1 so it had a reading

IT should be 38-53 ohms when it is at room temperature, is that not what you had?

Robert

I just read it again at it was 2.4 hot

That element is bad if that is what you are getting. What I might do is allow it to cool off and then pull it out and get an ohm reading on it, should have 38-53 ohms.

Let me ask one last question do you have a three way model that runs on both DC and AC power along with the LP?

I should have asked that as if you have a DC option the reading is different. ROBERT

I believe it runs on all 3. I have a spot on the board that comes from the battery.

OK

SO is it not cooling on AC power or DC power then? You would have two elements on the Flue canister, one for the DC element and one for the AC element.....

Robert

it will only run on propane. The fridge is inside has a solid yellow light.
I also checked the plug and it had a good reading at 120.
Just so you know when I un hook from 50 amp power the fridge automatically switches to propane. I think it just pulls from the battery to operate the light inisde and maybe the thermosister. Sorry just trying to make sure it works on dc ac and propane

OK

IF you put the fridge in auto does it default to LP or does it work on AC power? The reason I ask is when you are plugged in and the fridge is in Auto it should always want to run on AC power, if you loose the AC power is should default to LP, once AC power is restored then it should switch back to AC power. SO if the flame is going in you are in auto and plugged in there is a problem and that is what I need to know....

OK well you just answered my question with it switching......

SO with all that out of the way I would ohm out EACH element and make sure they are good, if the elements are good what you can try is to disconnect the thermistor and let it run for a few hours, when you do that it goes to back up mode and the box should get VERY cold, if that does not happen and the elements check out good it has to be that lower circuit board. I am going to give you a service manual for you to review and it will give you the specs for the heating elements. Click HERE for that.

On your circuit board you should also have three fuses, one for the DC element, one for the AC element and one that allows the fridge to turn on which is DC power as well. IF you check the fuses make sure you unplug the fridge, you do not want to touch the AC fuse with it plugged in. This is sounding like a board problem but ohm the elements out at ROOM temp. and then try running it on AC power with the thermistor unplugged.

Hope this helps out, if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page...
ROBERT

I disconnected the thermosister and i ohmed out all of the fuses and everything. It still will not turn green and run on AC. It will only run on gas. I noticed where the heating element plugs into the board i didnt get any power coming from those two prongs. I put one end of the meter on ground and the other on the prong and i got nothing.
Should those be getting a reading from them?
Also now the ***** *****ght is flashing be ause I dosconnected the thermosister.

YES it will flash because you disconnected it.

IF you are getting no voltage on the AC terminals leading to the element I suspect the lower circuit board is the problem on this. in Theory if you applied AC voltage to the AC heating element and turned the fridge off it should cool because you are providing a heating source directly, that can be accomplished with an old lamp cord or extension cord. I do not think it is a cooling unit problem because it is cooling good on LP. They should have a reading on them.

Robert

Ok so i would have to order the new circuit board? Is it common for them just to go out for no reason. We bought this trailer brand new a uear ago.
Is there any way to know for sure that it is the board? What i find weird is that the ac heating element is getting hot, but if it is not getting power from the board how is it hot? Maybe just from running the fridge on propane?

Yes I am afraid so that is what it is looking like, when you troubleshoot these it is a process of elimination and it is coming down to that circuit board. One thing you also might want to try is check the polarity of the outlet, most Home Improvement stores have the polarity checkers, you could be showing voltage but it may not work if the polarity was reversed or something like that.

When you troubleshoot these it is a process of elimination to get to a point where you can pin the board down. YES the flue canister gets very hot on LP and no way for you to know it is getting hot, so the LP is making that entire area hot. IF you have no voltage on the board then it is not working.... You checked the fuses, checked the voltage output, make sure that fuse is not loose in the holder as well, have seen that before it should be snug.

Look the service manual over one more time as well.

Beyond that I would get the serial number of the fridge and call a local RV store and they should be able to get you a new board for this.

I hope this has been helpful, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page...

ROBERT

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic