RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

8HDKAK-1046N FAULT CODE 25 GEN RUNS GOOD BUT WHEN LOADED…

8HDKAK-1046N FAULT CODE...

8HDKAK-1046N FAULT CODE 25 GEN RUNS GOOD BUT WHEN LOADED STARTS SURGING. CHANGED FUEL FILTER WITH NO CHANGE IN SURGING. HAD A DECENT LOAD ON IT THIS PAST WEEKEND WHEN IT STARTED. NO MORE OF A LOAD THE IN THE PAST THOUGH. I HAD TRIPPED A GFI SO WENT TO FIND WHICH ONE I NOTICED THE GEN HAD STOPPED. FIRED RIGHT BACK UP BUT THEN STARTED THE SURGING.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the fuel filter an external one, or is it inside the tank?

EXTERNAL NAPA GOLD 3310 ROUN IN THE UNDERNEATH COMPARTMENT WHERE THE OIL FILTER IS. IS THERE ANOTHER I AM MISSING? THIS IS THE FIRST GENSET THAT I HAVE HAD THAT DID NOT HAVE THE RECTANGULAR ONE.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2014 FLEETWOOD PROVIDENCE

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?

NOTHING EXCEPT THE FUEL FILTER.

3/26/2018
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

S​urging can be caused by a governor that is out of adjustment and sometimes a controller that won't keep the cycles where they need to be. Do you have the Service Manual for this or not?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
OK WHAT?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
NOT A SERVICE MANUAL JUST THE OPER MANUAL

Let me see if I can find one for you......

T​his one only goes thru Spec M and yours is an "N" but the adjustments for the governor should be the same and I think the fault codes are the same as well. Print this out so you have it. http://www.twinslan.net/~n0nas/manuals/onan/981-0522%20Onan%20HDKA%20(spec%20A-M)%20Diesel%20RV%20Genset%20Service%20manual%20(06-2010).pdf

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
IM SAVING IT TO THE COMPUTER. ILL PRINT WHAT IS NECESSARY. CAN THE GOVENER GET OUT OF ADJUSTMENT JUST LIKE THAT?

Over time it can be. Sometimes due to wear in the linkage.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
It has 2k hours. When gfi tripped it had more of a load than I had put on it before

This can be from any number of things or combination of several. I would have a good tune up and have them run a load test on this and check the frequency of the controller here as well.

Most GFCI outlets are only good for 1500 watts.

Heading back into my shop and that takes about 20 minutes.........

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
WHEN PRIMING THE SYSTEM SHOULD THE PUMP BUILD UP ENOUGH PRESSURE TO SLOW DOWN THE "TICKING" NOISE OF THE PUMP. AFTER 1 MINUTE OF PRIMING THE PUMP IS GOING AT THE SAME PACE AS WHEN STARTED.

That should only take a minute at most. You might want to check the pump pressure and filter to be sure that isn't an issue.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
you’re saying the ticking noise should slow down? The filter is good unless there is another one I haven’t seen.

That isn't important. The fuel pressure is the big thing. See that section of the manual.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification