RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Currently have trl in shop. they cant figure out whats going…

Customer Question
Currently have trl in...

Currently have trl in shop. they cant figure out whats going on with it. The landing gear is binding under load. When on Trk goes up and down without issues electrically or manually but when on the ground it ground to a stop. They have replaced the battery and have tried 2 different motors the last is a heavier duty motor. Any suggestions

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Battery has also been replaced and verified. also all grounds have been tested.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2011 Montanna 3580RL

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, Have it in shop but they are at a standstill

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Cant think of anything

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: RV
3/26/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 3 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Is this all electric landing gear or a hydraulic system?

electric
prefer chat vs call
are u still there?

My experience with these doing this in my shop is that most of the time it is the bushing in the leg that is begging to strip and the screw portion of the shaft binds up in that are and either won't allow the leg to move up or down or just turns and won't lift the coach. It comes from lifting unevenly and putting too much pressure on one leg. OR the legs were not adequate for the weight when they were installed. When replacing these usually put heavier rated legs on them. If this is the problem the only "fix" is a new leg assy.

I like the Bulldog legs rated for 10K lbs that have individual motors and a 2 speed gear selection.

Removing the legs and taking them apart can verify if this is the problem.

And if you have only one battery you are going to have low voltage issues. Any trailer with power equipment needs at least two batteries and the larger the better. One loses voltage too quickly.

Just checking back in to see if perhaps you missed my earlier responses to your question? I do have an RV repair shop and can assist you in sorting out the problem here and suggest a solution. If you need me to resend this information please let me know. Thanks!

Where are you located?

Northern California

Were they able to verify if the internal thrust bushings were failing?

Parts are on order. Thank you and please cease the mail.

10-4