RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

When I try to extend my Carefree Awning on my Thor ACE, the…

When I try to...

When I try to extend my Carefree Awning on my Thor ACE, the fabric starts to drop down, but the arms won't go out--unless someone pulls on them. Once pulled out a few inches, the whole thing operates perfectly. There is no dirt on them and the awning is new.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Electrics are working correctly.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2018 Thor Ace

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Camping World installed this awning after the first one was damaged by a falling tree. They have had several unsuccessful tries at fixing it.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

What do you need?

It sounds to me like they didn't get the arms paralleled correctly OR the height is not correct on the legs and the top is catching. Some careful inspection would tell which it is. I have an RV repair shop and deal with these all the time.

This is on the side of the RV.

T​ake a tape measure and check the distance between the top and bottom of the arms from the center of one to the center of the other. They should be exactly the same. And then check the top of the arms and see if they are too far down and allowing the top to catch on portion attached to the coach.

I they aren't parallel they will bind when in the up position.

OK

Do you understand the things to check here?

They appear to be correctly mounted.

Without measuring them you can't know for sure. Even 1/4" out of parallel or having the legs too low on the arms will result in this happening. Maybe just return to Camping World and tell them to repair it for you. It should be under warranty.

Would the awning pitch affect anything.

I​t might. You would have to get up on a ladder and check to see where this is binding up.

We've had this back to Camping World several times. The come out with WD-40, spray the hell out of the arms, get it to work a few times and then tell us it's fixed. Next day, the thing won't open. I measured the arms and they appear to be of equal distance.

T​hen it may be they are hanging up on the top. Binding someplace is the only reason this would hang up and need some "help" to come out. Or perhaps if the voltage is too low. WD40 will only last for a few minutes. Not the proper fix here. Camping World has a pretty bad reputation on here!

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Thanks. I guess I need to contact Thor or Carefree to see about getting this fixed.

They will tell you to take it to a dealer. Is there another shop in your area that installs awnings?

Holman Motors. Will they cover someone else’s bad installation?

Not under warranty. Maybe a call to Thor will help put some pressure on Camping World.