RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My Cummins ISL 400 wouldn't start. Turned over but no

Customer Question
My Cummins ISL 400...

My Cummins ISL 400 wouldn't start. Turned over but no compression. Electric all good. Had mobile tech come out. After 5 trips.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Engine started last Sunday. Monday, wouldn't start. Tech checked pressure from electric lift pump and filters clear. All okay. He removed mechanical pump and cleaned the check valve before reinstalling. He pulled head off injector pump and found one of two pistons was not springing back up when pressed. To get it to start, he ordered & replaced that, put a new line from that head to the rail, new gaskets. Said the computer showed good pressure.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

I tried Cummins reprime 3 times, bumping starter 6-7 each time. Pulled line off "out" side of coarse/separator filter and had helper try to prime w key and bumping. Never got any fluid to come out of filter head. 2008 Country Coach Allure 470 38' Sunset Bay.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Country yourself? What have you tried so far?

See previous posts. I keep hitting the send button too soon.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I just need ways to DIY seeing if diesel is getting past two filters. That's all.

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: RV
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 2 days by:
3/28/2018
RV Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 24 days ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here since your question has been sitting for so long.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Even though the pump was repaired partially this can still be a fault with the pump itself.It can fail internally causing no fuel like your seeing here.I have also seen issues with a restriction of fuel flow due to a pinched off fuel line leading from the fuel tank or the sock filter in the tank itself clogged up.If these have not been checked for any issues this needs to be done.If this was already done and found to be o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
A friend helped me undo the line coming out of the secondary filter. While I worked the ignition key, he got a steady stream with just the electric lift pump operating. When I cranked the engine trying to start it, the cam should have been operating the mechanical pump. However, the stream never changed in force or amount. This leads us to pull the mechanical pump and visually examine it. To do that we’ll have to remove the hard fuel line. We’re reluctant to do that for fear it can only be used once (I was told). During one cranking after removing the filters and filling them completely, we got the engine to “cough” once and almost start but couldn’t repeat that. We also think there may be air in the system after the filters that’s preventing fuel draw, and we’re not sure how to get that air out. Any other help?
RV Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 23 days ago

Is there any way you can slightly pressurize the fuel from the tank maybe with some air pressure to force fuel into the pump to see if it starts then at all?

Let me know,thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician