RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2014 newmar ventana. My shore power is connected…

I have a 2014...

I have a 2014 newmar ventana. My shore power is connected but not coming thru. Inverter is on. I have a progressive surge protector, a model pd52(p) atrs, and a magnum sine wave inverter. Any suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Magnum?

It came with coach

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Magnum yourself? What have you tried so far?

I disconnected shore power, did a soft reset on the magnum. Also I disconnected shore power, ran gen for 20 minutes. After both scenarios shore power still didn't come on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

This happened once b4 and soft reset worked. Also power indicator on surge protector isn't on.

3/25/2018
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

So when you ran the generator did you have all your power back? And just so I am clear you are missing the AC power? The outlets, microwave, TV's are NOT working?

Thanks, Robert

Everything worked while gen was running

OK

Please give me several mins to type a response....

Robert

You can call me

I can not call you at this very moment because that is an additional service with an added fee, I have not received that request yet.

I will go ahead and type and answer and if you decide you want a phone call and I see the request I will call you.

I will respond back shortly.

Robert

My PayPal was charged $29. A phone call is additional?

IF everything worked with the generator but NOT on shore power then the problem is with the incoming supply or that Transfer Switch. Sometimes the transfer switch relay can stick and when that happens you will get NO AC power inside the RV, the Transfer Switch acts like a gate and allows the power through. So make sure you do not have a breaker tripped on the supply post, if you can try another source. The next step would be to see if AC voltage is going into the Transfer Switch, if you have voltage going into the transfer switch but not out of it then it has failed. IF you have NO AC voltage at all it has to be a supply or cord issue.

YES the phone call has an additional charge. Please keep in mind it is the weekend and most shops charges 1 hour of labor to diagnose, I am trying to help you, it is OK if you do not want to do the call we can go back and forth in this format as much as needed. The 5 dollars is a deposit to talk to a RV expert, I have been in the RV world for over 20 years and would not be answering questions for 5 dollars. ROBERT

The surge protector has a little display that usually shows "50a". It is off. Does that indicate anything?
Breaker inside coach electrical box?

That means that power is not making it to the Transfer Switch or the Transfer Switch has failed. I do not think the problem is past the Transfer Switch as everything works good on generator power so that tells me it is the Actual Transfer Switch, breaker tripped on the supply source problem with the cord... IT is NOT going to be a breaker inside the RV as it uses the same AC power for generator.

Robert

Are you saying I need to check breaker elsewhere....not sure where to look
The surge protector is between the outside power and the atrs box

YES the supply pole you are using or try another supply source. IF the AC voltage is working with the generator all the breakers inside are good.

Sometimes the reset you tried does work but not always. IF you have NOT done so go unplug the cord from the post, GO shut off all the breakers in your breaker panel, go plug back into power and turn your breakers inside the RV back on one at a time, sometimes if the relay is stuck taking all the AC power away and then energizing that relay.

You would have to see if you are getting the AC power coming into the ATS, if you are then it has failed, IF NO AC power present at the ATS then it has to be an issue with the surge protector, incoming supply voltage, tripped breaker on the SUPPLY post etc.

Robert

Ah the breaker you were talking about was the one at the post...It has not been tripped.I will try your breaker by breaker suggestion.There is a double 50 on far left....turn it back on first or last?

You can do that one on first, just one at a time..... I would still turn the breaker OFF and then BACK ON for the post while you have it unplugged.

There is a 30 on far right that is also marked main. Do it 2nd?

Sure it really does not matter what order you turn the breakers ON and OFF, do the main one first then the rest. Make sure you also cycle the breakers on the supply post before you plug back in. Once you cycle the breakers on the supply post, plug back in and then turn your breakers back on inside the RV. Robert

K. Will give it a try.

10-4

No change. I'm guessing it's the surge protector or the atrs.

YES that is going to be where the problem is at as everything is working on generator power. Might need a mobile tech to come out and look but I would have the supply source checked out first or try another source.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page.

ROBERT

Thank you for your help

No problem at all....

Let me know if you need more help, I am around daily. IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page, it is the only way I get "credit" for helping out... ROBERT

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic