RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have an Atwood GC10A-4E water heater, gas and elec. It…

I have an Atwood...

I have an Atwood GC10A-4E water heater, gas and elec. It starts to heat but stops before water is hot.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Gas consumption is aboutr normal. It starts same as usual. Lights on gas, runs for 3 or 4 min. then shuts down. doesn't want to restart.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your MINI?

The 5th wheel is '05 all original parts.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have cleaned all elec connections, checked ground and fuse. I took the thermo link out and it fired right up, shut off after 4 min.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

T​hat can be due to several things. The most common on that long a run is a bad thermostat and ECO and those are not expensive and easy to change out. See the attached link for a copy of the Atwood Service Manual. Print this out so you have it. Check the connections and be sure they are clean and tight. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/Service%20Manual,%20RM8xxx.pdf

As a test you can bypass them and see if it will heat up or a longer period of time. Let me know what happens and we can go from there. All follow ups are included in our one time fee.

Did you try bypassing the thermostat and ECO on the front? Easy to do. If you have or can get a 12 VDC test light this can be helpful.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
how do I bypass the thermostat and ECO? The service manual you sent is for Dometic refers.

S​orry about that! Sometimes the link doesn't take. Try again. Just remove the leads from the thermostat and joint them together with a short jumper. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/atwoodwaterheater.pdf