RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 1988 ford minnie winnie m426rt. The start solenoid…

I have a 1988...

I have a 1988 ford minnie winnie m426rt. The start solenoid was replaced. Since replacing this and trying to reconnect the battery negative terminal, we get a serious spark. I am thinking the starter solenoid is not wired correctly. Do you have the diagram for where the wires should be going to check?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

I pulled the fuses to check for a short but found nothing. I do not have the wiring diagram.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '88 RV?

I am very sure it is wired incorrectly

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Myself. The solenoid was unhooked a few months back when the battery was dead. I do not believe it was wired back correctly. When I took a picture of the solenoid before I replaced it, I can see where one of the terminals has some shiny copper showing, meaning it is not as tall as it before. I am thinking the wiring is incorrect.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that i can think of. This was not a problem until the solenoid was removed a few months back and put back in. So I am thinking what I am seeing today is not right.

3/25/2018
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

D​id you have the battery disconnected? If so, be sure that the polarity is correct first. Positive cable goes to the large post connection on the solenoid. Can you attach a photo of that?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Attached is the starter solenoid before I replaced it. It is hooked up in the same fashion. I believe what you are looking at is incorrect. If you look at the terminal on the right (M) this goes over to the relay at the auxiliary battery. On the B terminal, everything else including positive battery terminal is there. This is where I think I am messing up. I did have the battery completed removed. Hooking up the positive first then the negative which gives me the sparks. the fuse lines you see in the picture all are on the M terminal.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Sorry about that, everything is connecting to the B (positive terminal) not the M. The M is only going to the auxiliary relay.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
As you can see from the picture, the M terminal shows a little copper meaning I am missing a hookup. That is why I think something on the positive side is not right. One too many I believe.

I​ cannot make out which is which in the photo, but let me see the photo of the battery hookup.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Apparently the video I just recorded is not going through. The problem is not the wiring to battery, the problem is the wiring on the solenoid. Do you know the correct configuration for how that should be wired?
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
On the starter solenoid, the terminal to the left is B, which instructions for it say to go to the primary positive terminal. The terminal to the right is the M terminal, which instructions say to connect to the starter motor cable (this is going to the relay switch for the aux battery). I think that one is supposed to be on the B terminal with the positive cable and the M terminal goes to the wire going down in between to what I would imagine is the starter. Does that sound correct? The line wires with fuses should be on the positive terminal side with the battery.

T​here should be one positive cable coming down from the battery after it goes though the battery disconnect solenoid. The other positive feed goes out of the other terminal to the starter motor. Nothing should be going to the auxillary battery switch. Use a small digital multimeter to see what you have there. It appears that the terminal on the left hand terminal has one too many large leads there. There should only be one of those on each side.

If something is sparking it is due to something being grounded. I suspect that one of those heavy cables where you have two connected at one post is a ground.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Randall, I thank you. I have it running by not connecting the wire going back to the aux relay. I am a little puzzled on what the wire should connect to though. Any thoughts? I am going to see if I can dig up the instructions for it to see.

N​ot without taking a look at the chassis manual for this. A Ford dealership might be able to assist you with that or try Faxon Automotive Literature or Lloyd's Automotive Literature for one. E-bay and Amazon can be good sources as well. Perhaps someone added that trying to do something and it was never a part of the OEM wiring. And you are most welcome!

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Sounds good and I thank you again. Have a great night!

And you as well! Please tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer.

Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification