RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We've ordered a 2019 aria 3901. Can the induction cooktop or…

We've ordered a 2019...

We've ordered a 2019 aria 3901. Can the induction cooktop or microwave be run from the 2000 watt Magnum MODIFIED sine wave inverter for 5-10 minutes?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Magnum yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, we get delivery in June. Just trying to get advance info. Also I'm confused about the basement door's increased thickness. Dealer said old was .4 and new will be .8. Is that metric or inches?

3/25/2018
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

S​orry for the delay in someone getting to your question. I just got home after being gone all afternoon and see this still on the board. If you still need some help here please let me know. I do have an RV shop and work on these all the time.

No one has answered yet.

D​o you know if this new unit is going to have four 6 VDC batteries for the house batteries or just two 12 VDC batteries? That would be helpful to know. And is this going to have a 120 VAC only fridge? That would make a difference here. On the thickness of the doors that should be in inches. Knowing the rated watts of that induction cooktop would help.

4 6volt house batteries wired series/parallel for 12 volts total. 120 v only residental fridge.
I think cooktop is 1500 watts

T​hat fridge will consume a lot of power and you need to be hooked up to shore power or have the generator running most of the time. Otherwise it will run the batteries down quickly. I think if you try to run that induction hotplate that long AND the fridge at the same time without being hooked up to shore power you may have a problem. Low voltage will raise the amperage in the circuits and this also causes heat to go up in the circuits and components as well and that is when things go bad. Fuses blow and things burn up. Not good! I would add two more batteries if you have room and think about some solar panels to assist in the charging when NOT hooked up to shore power. So bot***** *****ne is perhaps with some care. Try not to do this any longer than you have to when no AC power is available for some reason. Running the generator would provide that power and charge the batteries as well. Hope that points you in the right direction. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are include in our one time fee. No time limit.

I live off grid and have a dozen L-16 batteries and I still have to be careful as to what I can operate without some assist from my generator.

I know using induction cooktop or microwave could only be for a few minutes using inverter, but that would only be during boondocking quiet hrs. Will this work off a Magnum MODIFIED sine wave inverter?

It will be maxed out at only 2000 watts. Can't you get a larger inverter? That would be the safe thing here. And more batteries. If the fridge pulls 300 watts by itself and you have anything else running at all this is going to push that inverter to the limit and I wouldn't do that.

I realize it could be maxed out, but will microwave or induction cooktop even run on a MODIFIED sine wave,(ie basically a square wave)? Will it require a PURE sine wave inverter? Re basement door thickness of the aluminum, the dealer said 2018 thickness was 0.4 and 2019 models will be 0.8 If it's inches, then the decimal placement is wrong. It should be 0.08 inches which is about 20% thicker than 1/16 of an inch. That would seem reasonable to me, agree? 0.8 would be more than 3/4 of an inch which is unreasonable. and 0.8 mm would only be 3/100 of and inch which is way to thin. Thanks, Marty

I have no way of knowing what they meant there. Basement doors are not just metal. They have a foam filler and perhaps that is thicker and the metal is the same. I suspect they were looking for better insulation. And yes, the induction plate will operate on modified sine way. Only sensitive equipment like computers should have pure sine wave. I have an induction plate at my residence and it works fine on my inverter which is modified sine wave. I have filters for my computers to filter out the "noise" in the lines from the dirty electricity that is there. Not sure how healthy that will be. Maybe get an EMF meter and check it first. Surprising how much these things put out. Even cell phones put out excessive amounts of radiation. I have been studying this and I am making some serious changes in my system. I can't even get in the door of my inverter room without it moving into the red zone. Meterk makes one and I got it on Amazon. Hope that gives you some ideas.

Ok, well thanks Randall for the info. The basement doors are also going from 1" to 1.5" insulation on the aluminum sheeting. I'll probably install 2-3 more solar panels myself for a total of 300 or 400 watts. The controller can handle 30 amps, so 400 watts @ even as high as 90% efficiency is 360 watts divided by 12 volts is 30 amps. Think I'd be OK? Got to head to church now.

That would sure help! And you are most welcome. Get back to me later if you need more on this as there is no time limit on follow ups.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
I'm finished with my question. Thanks Randall

You are most welcome! Please tell your friends about our service here on Just Answer.