RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

The battery on our motor home, Class C, died. We need to…

The battery on our...

The battery on our motor home, Class C, died. We need to retract a slide in order to take it to the dealer. Can you help?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Yes. It will not take a charge. We purchased a new stronger battery but apparently the battery kept going in and out and damaged some other part of the electrical system.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2016 FS31 Greyhawk

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I do not have main power to the house from any source, AC, Battery, or Generator. I replaced the battery and it is fully charged. I checked polarity fuses in the Power Control center, reset all HV breakers, still no power.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I was thinking I might have a problem with the Power Control Center itself and may need to replace it.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/24/2018
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

OK

So are you plugged into power? IF you are plugged into power do you have voltage at the outlets, microwave, TV etc? The power is split, AC power and DC power, the power converter takes the AC power and makes the DC power and charges the battery.

OR are you missing ONLY the DC power?

Thanks, Robert

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I was plugged into AC power but am now unplugged but can easily plug back in. I just did not want to stay plugged in while I was checking the DC voltage to the Solenoid to make sure it was working properly.

OK

YES do you have a battery disconnect switch near the entry door? IF so and you hit that switch can you hear the solenoid click each time? DID you find that solenoid already?

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Phone call session started

Nice talking to you, just respond back here if you need more help, I am around daily and respond when I can.....

Thank you. Robert

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Robert, I put a jumper on the solenoid.........nothing ......next step

Need to get a volt meter and check each LARGE post for DC voltage, so positive probe to one post, negative probe to chassis ground, get a reading on each side and let me know what it is, do not measure voltage post to post but EACH post to chassis ground....

Robert

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
battery post to post 14.0 volts, 0 volts on post to ground on both sides of solenoid

IF you have 0 volts at the solenoid and 14 volts at the battery, then the problem is between the battery and solenoid, it should ALWAYS be hot on one side of the solenoid, check your cables really good and try to follow them and make sure you do not have a breaker prior to that solenoid, you are losing the voltage at some point.

IF you have a battery control box with fuses and solenoids in it get me the make and model of that.

Robert

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
It is a Progressive Dynamics PD4000. This is the power control center and every thing goes thru there, AC, DC, and Gen. I have checked the fuses and HV AC breakers there to make sure none were tripped or blown. The polarity fuses are not blown.

OK

From the battery to the solenoid should be one cable need to check that cable going to the solenoid and see where you are losing the voltage. The battery control box would be different from the power converter. The battery control box if you have one would be outside. IT is possible to have ALL your AC power but be missing the DC power that is what sounds like is going on.

Actually click HERE and I just looked at the wiring for that converter and it does have a post for the battery disconnect, I would see if you have DC voltage at both DC positive points. IT very well could be the converter if the cable goes from the battery to the converter and THEN to the solenoid....

Robert

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I will check voltage across the DC input terminals at the control center to see if I get any thing. I will also check to see if the DC is actually getting to the control center. And the answer to AC side is that is not working also. I plugged it in to the 30 amp outlet I have installed for the motor home here at my house and nothing.....

Sorry for the delay had to run out for a bit.....

What about the generator? Do you get any AC power with that going?

Has that outlet every worked before? Did you have someone install it? Should be OK as long as it is not wired for 220.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I checked the inverter out......a Xantrex XM1000 When I plug into the AC power the inverter will only put out .47 volts DC. I then checked the inverter output with only battery power and get about the same. I ran the DC wiring from the battery and it goes thru the inverter before the power control center then back to the solenoid. Low voltage therefore the control center doesn't pass enough voltage to trip the solenoid and even if it did there is not enough amps to do anything. Logically this probably is my problem. Any thoughts?

You should be seeing the input at the inverter of what your battery voltage is, if you have good DC voltage going into the inverter but not out then it is the problem. That inverter is supplemental to run a few things on AC power when you are unplugged. SO if the input DC voltage is good but not the output it has to be the problem..

Robert

Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic