RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I need to access the orange "satellite prep" coax cable that…

I need to access...

I need to access the orange "satellite prep" coax cable that Thor has routed inside an aluminum channel on the roof of my 2014 Palazzo, but I'm hesitant to cut the channel open to get at it .... Is it okay to cut into that channel?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

2014 Thor Palazzo 36.1

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '14 RV?

Thor Palazzo 36.1

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes ... I want to use that cable for a cell phone booster antenna I'm installing ...

3/24/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 4 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

IS there some type of sticker on the roof that says drill here or something else? Many times they will put a sticker or bulls-eye on where to drill for the prep.

Robert

They put a phony vent cap over that location ... It's in the middle of the roof about three feet back of the front cap ....Cutting the channel is the only way to access it, but I don't want to weaken the roof structure if I'm not supposed to do that ...

OK

Then I would remove the vent cap and see if you can get at the coax cable, I would be leery drilling into the roof to locate something without a print or diagram which would need to come from the RV manufacturer, Just make sure you seal everything up with some Dicor when you are done, they also make flat plates that are notched so you can run the cable out if needed.

I do not think you are going to compromise the roof structure cutting into the channel, my concerns is making sure you absolutely know where to cut, if so then it would be fine.....

Please let me know if you have more questions or concerns...

ROBERT

Maybe I wasn't clear, but I already cut a 2 3/4" hole to access that area and that's where I found both the channel with the cable inside of it ...

OK

SO I am not sure what you are asking if you cut the hole and found the cable can you not pull it through or you need to cut more on the roof?

I just need to cut an opening in the channel to be able to pull it out ... Want to make sure that is the correct procedure ...

Yes you cut an opening in the channel it will not compromise the structure at all, just make sure everything is sealed up really good when you are done...

Hope this helps out, if you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Thanks!