RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2011 cedar creek 38 fl. 2011 cedar creek 38 fl. 38…

I have a 2011...

I have a 2011 cedar creek 38 fl

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

2011 cedar creek 38 fl

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '11 RV?

38 fl

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just a question about the electrical system

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

About the battery disconnect and the converter and inverter

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Yes and no to leaking

3/24/2018
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

What is the question?

when hooked up to 110 volt 20 amp using pigtail I want to use frig no ac. should the battery disconnect be on or off and the tci switch by the converter on, but when on show it is on converter
when I was using the 5th wheel earlier it would drain the batteries down when hooked up to 50 amp 240

Do you have a home style all electric fridge?

110 volt
no gas or 12 volt

Y​ou are going to lose about half the service in the coach using a 20 amp adapter. And the inverter has to be "ON" for the batteries to charge. If you aren't plugged into shore power OR have the inverter on the batteries will discharge quickly.

I have the 50 amp pigtail reduced to 110 20 amp just want to run rfrig. when I get to sc this weekend will be hook up o the 50 amp service
should the battery disconnect be on or off

T​he battery disconnect has to be off so the batteries are "in the loop" and the inverter is working. Otherwise it won't power the fridge very long. On that adapter you may not be getting power INTO the inverter. If not, it can't charge the batteries.

how do I run my refrig from my house to my RV, not using any other electric

When the battery disconnect is "ON" then it means that the batteries are disconnected. If you don't have the inverter working you can't use it. Unless you want to plug it into an extension cord to the house.

That is one drawback on these fridges. With no LP mode they have to have a good AC power source hooked up all the time.

OR more batteries and some solar panels on the roof to keep them charged up.

that is what im doing im running an 20 amp extension cord to my rv using the 50 amp pigtail which is reduced to 20 amp 110

T​he portion of your service you are losing from that may be the part that works the inverter. About half of the coach AC circuits are not going to have any power.

the little switch by the converter is in the on position the TCI panel near the battery says shore power then inverter than low battery and then something else I turn this switch on.

Yo​u best bet is to get a dedicated 50 amp plug installed asap so you can keep it all powered up properly. You can't run the A/C at all using this adapter. It doesn't sound like the batteries are being charged. If you have a small digital multimeter this can be checked quickly. Otherwise you are just guessing.

how to I run the extension cord to the 5th wheeler

About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. Plug it into outlet where you are using the adapter and go out to the RV and run it inside and plug in the fridge.

I can check with a multimeter tomorrow

I will be around most of the day......

I cant get to the plug it is behind the frig and wood framing

That can be a problem...........they made this to work as designed. Best to get that other plug set up ASAP.

don't understand what type of plug I have the 50 amp pigtail you have a picture
or a website for the plug so I can see what it looks like

Wire it up using #8 or #6 wire.

run a 50 amp service from my house to a receptacle outside then plug my shore cable to the receptacleso a regular 110 is useless

Pretty much...........just not adequate for what you have and using this fridge.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
thanks

You are most welcome! If you need more later on this you can always come back as we have no time limits on follow ups.