RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

WHEN PLUGGED INTO HOUSE THE 110 OUTLETS DON'T WORK, FRIG…

Customer Question
WHEN PLUGGED INTO HOUSE...

WHEN PLUGGED INTO HOUSE THE 110 OUTLETS DON'T WORK, FRIG DOESN'T WORK, OVERHEAD AC WORKS, ALSO LED UPDATE LIGHTS FLICKER

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

THE MOTORHOME COACH LIGHTS

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

1999 CHEVY C3500? 22FT WITH 454CI

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I TRIED LOOKING FOR A BREAKER OR SOMETHING RELATED TO 110, NOT SURE WHERE TO FIND IT

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

SHOULD I BE ABLE TO GET THE FRIG TO WORK ON GAS IF THERE IS NO 110?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: RV
3/23/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

SO yes the fridge needs DC power to work. The problem could be the power converter is not charging the battery when you are plugged into power. The power converter takes the incoming AC voltage and makes the DC voltage and charges the battery. SO what you need to do is get a volt meter and locate the house batteries and see what the voltage is doing, it should be around 13.5 volts when you are plugged into power.

ARE you plugged in direct with the cord? OR are you using any adapters or extension cords plugging into a standard 110 household outlet?

DO you have a generator and if you run the generator does everything work properly?

Thanks, Robert

I DON'T SEE HOW AN EXTENSION CORD WOULD MATTER IF THE COACH CEILING AC IS WORKING
IT DOESN'T CHANGE ANYTHING WITH THE GENERATOR ON
I HEAR SPARK FROM THE FRIG IGNITER BUT DOESN'T START
I'M NOT AT THE VEHICLE NOW SO IT PROBABLY WON'T DO MUCH GOOD TO TALK

OK

Because when you plug into a standard 110 outlet, and use an extension cord you can have line loss and items can start to fail especially if you are running the AC unit, see it all the time.

IF you have not done so shut the roof AC off and then see if the fridge will start for you. When you use a standard outlet you are pulling to many amps through a small cord, the cord actually might heat up as well.

DO you have a volt meter? What is the make and model of the fridge?

Robert

I can give you some pointers to look at on the fridge if it is sparking, I understand you are not at the RV...

Give me a few mins to type a response, you can always come back and respond, I am around daily and respond when I can..

Robert

I'M GOING TO LUNCH, AM I ON A CLOCK OR SOMETHING?

IF the fridge is sparking then you need to check the DC voltage, if the AC unit is running and you are plugged into a standard outlet stop the AC unit and then see if the fridge will fire off, if so then it is a AC power problem as I discussed.

IF the fridge still will not light off and it is sparking get an air nozzle and blow out the burner tube really good, sometimes spiders, small bugs can get into the tube and cause problems, the burner tube sits below the electrode or what sparks.

NO YOU ARE NOT ON A CLOCK, ALL FOLLOW UPS ARE INCLUDED, I WILL FINISH WITH MY RESPONSE THEN YOU CAN GO CHECK THINGS OUT AND GET BACK TO ME WHENEVER YOU CAN NO TIME LIMITS.

If the burner tube is clear and clean make sure the electrode is 1/8" over that tube. IF it is sparking it should be getting gas as well, the solenoid should click and you should smell LP, if you do not hear a click and can not smell LP then it could be the gas valve, if you can smell gas then it could be a LP pressure problem but that would be hard to know without testing the system pressure with a manometer. GO to the main LP tank and shut the valve, SLOWLY open it back up sometimes if the valve is opened to fast the regulator can lock up and you might not get the proper pressure.

IF you can get me the make and model of the fridge I am sure I can get a detailed service manual......

For the outlets not working, need to find the breaker panel, most times it is inside the RV, under the fridge, on the outside base of the bed, in the closet etc. Many times the breakers will be next to the fuses for the interior items. Go around the RV and make sure you do not have a tripped GFI, these will be outlets with a test and reset button on them, they are normally in the bathroom and or galley but can be about anywhere else including the outside, if you had one tripped it will prevent the other outlets from working......,

Lets start with that, you can respond back to me anytime you like. I am around daily and respond WHEN I can...

Thanks.... Robert

I got the 110 outlets to work by pushing the breaker button on the bathroom outlet. I have a flame for the frig but doesn't cool and don't hear anything operating.
It's a Norcold N621

OK

Good job on the outlets....

For the fridge if the flame is going and not cooling it could be a cooling unit problem or the thermistor. What I suggest you do is run it on AC power if it still will not cool then that also points towards the Cooling unit or thermistor.

The thermistor can be ohmed out with a volt meter, click HERE and see page 20, this is a service manual for that fridge. IF the thermistor test good and you have NO cooling on AC power good chance the cooling unit is bad. A cooling unit can rupture OR become blocked. For a rupture you might smell ammonia or see a yellowish powder on the back of the fridge if the solution has come out. A RV fridge has no moving parts and the solution is heated up and pushed through the absorber coils so you would not hear anything but the flame going.

A cooling unit can also become blocked many times when that happens it needs to be replaced, make sure the fridge is level, if not re-level and let sit several hours before trying again. I have had some RV owners tell me that sometimes tapping the absorber coils with a rubber mallet gets things going but there are NO guaranties on that.

Again the key will be if it cools on AC power, if it does then it is NOT a cooling unit problem or thermistor.

Please let me know if you need more help, I am around daily and respond when I can...

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page, it is the only way I get "credit" for helping you out...

Robert

Hi.... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me....

ROBERT