RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Have Norcold 1200 LRIM 4 door gas/elect ref in motorhome.

Have Norcold 1200 LRIM...

Have Norcold 1200 LRIM 4 door gas/elect ref in motorhome. When using electric it is no longer cooling, yet on gas it works fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

We have been in a park for the winter. But which gas? The RV starts fine, has always been a gas hog, workhorse, 2004 Newmar.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '04 RV?

Newmar KountryStar Motorhome 3773

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Thinking about it, have not done anything yet other than changing to Propane

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is all I know

3/23/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 4 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Let me ask you this, when you are in Auto what happens? Does it automatically switch over to gas? OR it appears to be working but not cooling on AC power?

Thanks, Robert

When you are plugged into power and in

When you are plugged into power and in auto mode the fridge should always want to run on AC power, if you loose the AC power or the board does not sense the AC power it will default to LP, when the AC power is restored it should switch back to AC power, knowing if it is defaulting to LP when you are in auto mode will tell me allot. Thanks, Robert

I normally ran it in AC as we have been parked. I have switched to AU and it Defaulted to AC. Now I have to wait and see if it retains cool or starts warming.

10-4 let me know....

Normally if it switches over to LP and does not work on AC power then you could have lost voltage to the outlet, a problem with the circuit board or blown fuse on the board. IF it was not working and then started working again on AC power I am willing to bet you lost power to the outlet. All the fridge needs to turn on is DC power.

IF it does not cool on AC power then the most likely cause is the AC heating element, if it comes down to that I can give you the specs as you can ohm that out to see if it is good or not.

Please let me know if you need more help.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page.

ROBERT

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Robert, Thank you.
I checked the temps yesterday and on electric they were rising.
On Gas Left Freezer is at 25, right freezer is at 35, refrigerator is at 55 at temp setting of 8.
The AU defaults to AC but I have had to shift it to LP.
Any last thoughts?
Thanks,

OK

SO it appears you are not getting good cooling in the main box, 55 is to warm and it should be in the lower 40's so right from the start I would ohm out the thermistor to make sure it is good. Click HERE and see page 17.... Since it is not cooling at all on AC power I would also ohm out the AC heating element, that check is on page 15. You could have multiple problems since it is not cooling at ALL on AC and not very well on LP. Make sure the fridge is level as well. The service manual should help you out, if you want to test the AC heating element and thermistor and get back to me that is fine as well, I am around daily and respond WHEN I can.

Thanks, Robert

Forgot to add link for service manual, Click HERE

Thank you,
At this time I need no more assistance.
I will have to replace the refrigerator when I can.