RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Won’t stay lite. Sorry water heater won’t stay. Sunny brook…

Won’t stay lite Mechanic's...

Won’t stay lite

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Sorry water heater won’t stay li

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

Sunny brook 1999 Atwood water heater

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Changed the eco and t stat

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I don’t think so

3/21/2018
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

So do you have a switch inside that starts the electrode sparking or do you have to start the water heater from outside? Does it actually light off for you then go off OR it just sparks?

What is the model of the Atwood?

Robert

I just need to know if you have a piloted model that you light off outside, or electronic ignition, switch inside to start it. Atwood has both types.

You can respond back and forth as much as you like, all follow ups are included.

Robert

In side switch
Tries to light and then shuts of sounds like it wants to
On control board my lights are flashing also when it tries to light
Model GC6AA-8

OK

Lots to cover here so please give me several mins to type a response......

Robert

IF it sparking and trying to light off it could be a LP pressure issue, problem with the electrode, circuit board or gas valve. I am going to give you a service manual at the end so you can check things out but want to talk about each one.

First off the LP pressure, the system pressure really should be checked yearly, it would be hard for you to know what the pressure is without a manometer. I understand other appliances may be working but it could be a cause and it should be checked, we have to assume the pressure is good as this is a process of elimination. Go to the main LP tank and shut the valve, SLOWLY open it back up sometimes if the valve is opened to fast the regulator may lock up and you might not get the proper pressure.

Next check the electrode gap it should be 1/8" make sure the ceramic is not cracked on the electrode and it is not sparking outside of the tip. Below the electrode is the burner tube, get an air nozzle and blow that out really good, if debris got inside it may not want to fire off. I would also pull the gas orifice and soak it in alcohol. Make sure nothing got into the flue get an air nozzle and blow that out (make sure you have glasses on) sometimes mud daubers, other rodents can get inside and make nests and that restricts the air flow for proper combustion.

Pull the connector on the circuit board, get a pencil eraser and clean the contacts really good sometimes that is a weak link at that connection point.

The board can be tested by a RV shop/store, a special tester can be used for that.

The gas valve can be ohmed out to make sure it is good, click HERE for the service manual it will cover everything I have talked about. My gut says this is possibly the electrode or board but you have to go through all the checks you can to rule items out.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, I am around daily and respond when I can.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please select a STAR rating on the page..

Thanks, Robert

Hi.... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped? If you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Going to replace board thanks for your help