RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a truck camper with electric jacks that r weak when u…

I have a truck...

I have a truck camper with electric jacks that r weak when u try to raise it up

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

95 Northstar

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 9-5 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I’m thinking about getting 10 or 12 gauge extension cord it acts like a power thing. All the jacks act weak the battery is also out of the camper

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the battery? And have you tested it with a voltmeter?

The battery is old won’t hold a charge.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

I am really not sure what an extension cord will do for you, normally the electric jacks are wired to the battery what I might do is install a new battery and see if that takes care of the issue for you, I would also get some silicone spray and spray down them down really good and try cycling them to see if that helps out at all.

IF you are plugged in to power and using extension cords then that could also be problematic as you can have line loss, the more cords involved the greater the line loss you can have and that would affect the motors if you are using voltage, these should be 12 volt electric jacks.

Please feel free to follow up with me if needed, follow ups are included...

Robert

It was doing fine . It could be the battery does it give it a boost. Is the battery supposed to raise and lower without it being plugged up?

YES it should normally it is wired direct to the battery, I would really put a new battery in and see what happens, it could be the entire problem, also lubing them with some silicone spray will not hurt anything.....

Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page..

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic