RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We have an old Marvel refrigerator, cannot keep it from

Customer Question
We have an old...

We have an old Marvel refrigerator, cannot keep it from getting too cold. Is there a devise we can add to it to control the temp?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

The fridge is out of a1957 Holiday trailer, installed in a home built.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

That doesn't matter.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your RV?

It is a home built, with new wiring.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

The problem is in the sensor, it won't stop cooling.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. WE have tried to regulate the temperature controler, but it doesn't seem to move.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is there a devise that can be retro fitted to control the temp?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: RV
3/21/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 4 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

OK

Did you mean "Servel" on that make?

Marvel
Randall, are you still there?

In any event that answer is "No" unfortunately. No parts are available for that and most of those older units have no safety devices for keeping it from shutting the LP off and have a fire safety issue. We aren't even allowed to work on them. Time to upgrade to a newer unit. Plenty of good used models out there that you can pick up that would do a good job. Look on your local Craigslist or Freebie paper and see what is available.

Most RV shops have some good used fridges that came out when customers upgraded. I know in my shop I have two or three all the time for less than $500. Check around. Hope that points you in the right direction here. Please get back to me if you need more later as all follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit.

About the only other thing you might try is taking out the thermostat and see if a local shop can find an older Dometic one from an early model that might work. Those are getting HTF any more.

If this is one of their older compressor fridges you might find something at one of the parts houses that sells older parts like that. Sometimes Sears has older fridge parts. E-Bay is another possible source.

Just checked E-bay and saw a number of them. Maybe you can scrore one!

Just checking back in to see if perhaps you missed my earlier responses to your question? I do have an RV repair shop and can assist you in sorting out the problem here and suggest a solution. If you need me to resend this information please let me know. Thanks!