RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I cannot get roof air conditioner to come on Ihave checked…

Customer Question
I cannot get roof...

I cannot get roof air conditioner to come on Ihave checked the electrical 110 volt of 13. osupply and also checked dc voltage of thermostat also have checked converter output

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the Freon level?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Volt yourself? What have you tried so far?

110 volt at air conditioner also converter of 13.4 dc volts

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have also replaced the Thermostat

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: RV
3/21/2018
RV Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 4 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

This can be due to an issue with the starting capacitor.This is a common component that fails on the ac units and causes no ac operation.You will still have power to it but the ac compressor will not kick on to allow ac operation.The starting capacitor needs to be tested to be sure it is the cause then replaced from there.I don't know your exact model or have the specifications to test it but here is some info I have located on general start up capacitor testing.

Capacitance Testing
Turn off the main AC circuit breaker to the RV. The circuit breaker is located in the RV's electrical load center. Remove the shore power AC connection to the RV if it is connected.

Climb on to the RV roof and remove the air conditioner protective housing by unscrewing all Phillips head screws located around the base of the housing.

Locate the motor run and start capacitor enclosure. The enclosure is typically located near the top right corner of the air conditioner assembly when facing towards the front of the RV. It may also have a wiring diagram sticker on it. Remove the enclosure cover screws and cover.

Inspect the enclosure for two capacitors. The motor run capacitor is typically a silver oval-shaped canister two to three inches in length. The motor run capacitor is either black or silver, cylindrical in shape and is three to four inches in length.

Discharge each capacitor by shorting the electrical terminals located on the top of the capacitor using the flat blade screwdriver.

Remove the electrical leads from the motor run capacitor, taking note of what terminal each wire is connected to.

Measure the capacitance of the motor run capacitor by switching the multimeter to capacitance mode and place the positive lead (red) on positive or "+" terminal of the capacitor and the negative (black) lead on the negative or "-" terminal.

Compare the reading to the value printed on the side of the capacitor. If it is out of range, replace the capacitor. Repeat Steps 6 and 7 to test the motor start capacitor.

Resistance Testing
Switch the multimeter to Ohms mode. Place the positive lead (red) on the positive or "+" terminal of the capacitor and the negative (black) lead on the negative or "-" terminal.

Check to see if the resistance measurement gradually increases to near infinity. If it does not, the capacitor is leaky and requires replacement. If there is no resistance --- a zero reading --- the capacitor is shorted and requires replacement. If there is no resistance reading, the capacitor has an open circuit and requires replacement.

Repeat Steps 1 and 2 for the motor start capacitor.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete