RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I need help with a 1991 Prevost Bus Monaco Coach conversion.

Customer Question
I need help with...

I need help with a 1991 Prevost Bus Monaco Coach conversion. We have a problem with the Allison transmission ....electrical or otherwise. The coach starts great but will not go into gear. The check transmission light is lit on the dash. The bus us in nuetral red lights indicates it. There is no VIM module in this age coach. I replaced the shift selector. Reattached the new one- suddenly the do not shift light was on! I thought well the old one mst have been bad- still no changing of years....then I purchased an ECU and installed it..I had to reinstall the old PROM because they did not have a program module for my bus on hand. Started the bus and all of the sudden the transmission light is blinking 44. The do not shift light was lit, but I touched drive anyway. The bus movef forward for the first time since this issue began! Then would not go back to neutral. I turned it off and it went back to N on its own, but I am back to square one....the light is on not blinking and the bus will not go in gear....I am too done with this thing right now! What should I do next?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Yes. All fuses have been checked. I have the electric schematics and have checked for any possible hidden ones. I even flipped all breakers and reset. Turned all power off and reset. Then unhooked the ECU and reattached

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Monaco yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked fluids, new shift selector, the GM prolink found no codes and could not connect, New ECU installed, batteries checked- found a wiring issue redone to specs on the diagrams in series and parallel, did get a code 44....now no code no gear change, no movement

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. We reused the PROM....

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: RV
3/21/2018
RV Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 1 month ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here since your question has been sitting for so long.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

It is very possible the PROM itself has failed.It isn't a common fault but I have seen prom failure in the past before cause electrical function issues like your seeing.I would double check and make sure all wiring is o.k. running to the ECU and transmission.If all wiring is o.k. and all connections are o.k. and with all that has been done and this does sound electrical your PROM itself may need to be replaced to resolve this fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician